Azumanga Daioh Puzzle Bobble? Hi Josh...

Discuss gameplay strategies & post highscores in this forum
OldFoo

Azumanga Daioh Puzzle Bobble? Hi Josh...

Post by OldFoo »

So what's the deal with this game? Now I know it's worth a lot, and I know everyone wants it, but everything I've read about it points to mediocrity?? So, Josh, is it the sickest game ever or what? Worth it?

Don't get me wrong, I bought PB2 on MVS when it came out, and I still play the mofo, (because it is the crack) but not until recently, had any interest in the Naomi version. It just seems like all I hear is, "yeah, i do want a gd-rom setup for ADPB..." & "yeah, still haven't shelled out for ADPB though..." So set the record straight and give me the pros & cons (all owners, not just josh of course) :smt027
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

With the exception of a couple of differences, the game plays the same as the MVS versions of Puzzle Bobble. The main differences appear in 2 player mode:

1) Those familiar with the Anime/Manga of Azumanga, the 'thought bubble' appears at certain times to obscure the view, adding to the challenge.

2) The wall in 2 player mode has an opening in which you can throw a ball into the other player's side. This allows either to get rid of an unwanted ball, disrupt the challenger's building strategy, or, if you can time it correctly, block the challenger's attempt at throwing their ball at you (collision). This allows for more interactivity between the players than the normal 'clear a row of balls to build up on the other side' tactic.

The graphics are quite good since this is on the Naomi. The music is appropriate and does not distract from the gameplay. The original Japanese cast reprise their roles. Comedic elements of the original story are present (strange side characters, visual jokes, etc) and is a treat for Azumanga fans.

The one player mode (like the MVS) is basically a puzzle game. How much 'fun' it is depends on the person playing. I'd say the real jewel of this game is the 2 player mode. There's no better arcade feeling than playing with another player, which is true for most games. Those who would give this game a 'mediocre' rating would be because:

a)They are not fans of the original series

b)They were expecting an 'out of this world' experience (don't mess with a good thing :D )

c)They were not into the original MVS versions

Is it worth the money? That depends on how you take what this post says into account. I, for one, am pleased with my purchase and would recommend it to those who like Puzzle Bobble in general and Azumanga in specific.

If there are other owners of this game in this forum, let us know what you think! :smt024 :smt023
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

STELLAR response man, reading that makes it sound more like Twinkle Star Sprites, than mediocre.

okok, now someone trash it! lol
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

i guess you're it Josh, lol. Thanks again for the awesome, and finally informative, review - :smt023
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

No problem. Anytime! :smt080
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I just got Puzzle Bobble From USC when I won A takaron.

PB has been really fun. Been playing in team mode w/ my daughter.

We got to level 5 and 'won' some kind of code.

Not sure what to do with it?

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

It's probably some sort of internet ranking system. Japan loves doing this kind of thing. :111
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You can use the codes here for special 'thanks' flash movies. There seems to be many to unlock :smt113

http://www.mossjp.co.jp/azumanga/clear.html
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

CFO wrote:You can use the codes here for special 'thanks' flash movies. There seems to be many to unlock :smt113

http://www.mossjp.co.jp/azumanga/clear.html

Cool!

Thanks!!!

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I like Azu Manga Puzzle Bobble Dai O

Would buy it again if the oppurtunity presented itself.

Nice high rez version of Puzzle Bobble.