BIOS/REGION CODING FAQS

Frequently Asked Questions Technical Database
OldFoo

BIOS/REGION CODING FAQS

Post by OldFoo »

We get these questions alot on these forums:

1)Which bios do I need....

2)I'm getting Error02...

3)Is this game compatible with XXX Bios?

4)How can I tell which language....

5)Which bios version do I have?

6)Which bios version is better?

7)What is a 'bios'?

8)Where can I find the bios?

9)What does the bios look like?

10)Where can I get a new/different bios?

These questions are closely related and have nearly all the same answer. There is a compatibility reference posted on the Sega-Naomi main website located here --->Bios revision and compatibility list<---. This list can be referenced for most of the questions mentioned above.

Question: 'Which bios version is better'

Answer:

No version is 'better' than the other. There is no performance difference between any of the versions. Version upgrades were made by Sega to fix bugs, improve mobo software code, add GD-ROM support.

Question: 'Which language...' or 'What language...'

Answer:

Certain games have slight differences depending on the region they are meant to be played. Some countries prefer 'green blood' as opposed to 'red blood' because of censorship rules. The same thing goes with certain phrases, some things are not allowed to be said (such as profanity/swearing) and are changed per region to be accepted by operators.

Most games can be played most regions and 'which version...' would not be an issue. For example, Power Stone is in English when using USA or EXP bios. But if you use the same game with the JPN bios, both text and audio will be in Japanese. Some games only change the game's text. The others show no differences. I would say that 90% of all games will run under EXP bios, so that would be anyones safest bet. Overall, it depends on each person's preference, so others might have a different opinion.

Question: 'Where is the bios?'

The bios is a large chip located where the game cart is usually loaded as shown here:

Which version you have is marked on the white label.

Question: 'Where can I get new/different bios?'

Look no further than our own AndyGeezer who can offer whichever version you want.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I tested and confirmed that Borderdown GDL-0023A also works with a revision G export bios.

On the bios revision and compatibility list Borderdown is marked as USA / JPN only.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

WilalvesBR wrote:I tested and confirmed that Borderdown GDL-0023A also works with a revision G export bios.

On the bios revision and compatibility list Borderdown is marked as USA / JPN only.

Information is updated. Thanks.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Today i tested and confirmed that Guilty Gear X rom cart also works with a revision G export bios (with red blood enabled)!

On the bios revision and compatibility list Guilty Gear X is marked as USA / JPN only.

When tested with a revision D Capcom USA bios the game only worked with "green blood" and there wasn't any option to change it to red blood.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

BIOS Compatibilty List - GD-ROM

hello,

it can be useful, I can confirm GD-ROM Initial D works on export bios .... I tested on my naomi personally ... :smt006
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

ALLPRO wrote:BIOS Compatibilty List - GD-ROM

hello,

it can be useful, I can confirm GD-ROM Initial D works on export bios .... I tested on my naomi personally ... :smt006
US version, yes. Japanese version, no.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

no?

Initial D have two version disc?

question the game work on exp bios... but language is Jap...

english language is possible? :smt017

this is my disc

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:
ALLPRO wrote:english language is possible? :smt017
With this version, no. If you want English, you need to get the Export version with English "Initial D" words on it.
Last edited by OldFoo on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

GDS-0020 is Japan version

GDS-0025 is Export version on the disc only "INITIAL D" is written
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:
ALLPRO wrote:english language is possible? :smt017
With this version, no. If you want English, you need to get the Export version with English words on it.
ok ... thanks :smt006