Naomi 1 + GDROM setup in an Astro or similar JAMMA cab

Frequently Asked Questions Technical Database
OldFoo

Naomi 1 + GDROM setup in an Astro or similar JAMMA cab

Post by OldFoo »

Ok, I'm trying to ascertain exactly what I'd need.

Naomi mobo

GDROM drive

GDROM power splitter cable

JVS/JAMMA I/O converter

(if above not Capcom)

sound amplifier

Does that about cover it?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I have an new astro with an naomi 2 mobo and gd-rom drive system. Your list is ok but I have to buy an atx psu and modify it to power ypur naomi
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

That is correct. A standard Jamma power supply does not have enough power to run both the Naomi and GD system at the same time.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Which ATX power supplies will work out of the box for this?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I am not sure to understand what you want to say but my answer is : any atx psu does. Nevertheless power of this psu must be 350 watts or more.

Buy an extension like this : Image

And do that with it (see the last picture of article) : http://www.arcade-system.com/articles_h ... _naomi.htm
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I wish I understood French. Thanks for the answer and the link.

Suppose I had a Naomi 2 mobo, would anything change?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Nothing, I have an naomi 2 mobo with gd rom drive and an astro city. I took an 460 watts ATX psu to be sure but it's not really needed
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Here's some English instructions on modding a PC power supply for a Naomi, right in this forum:

http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2301

(The instructions say to use a connector from a motherboard, but I think hacking an extension cord like above is probably a better idea.)

Alternatively, if you don't have a power supply, just buy a Naomi one instead of modding a PC one. Here's some examples on eBay (not sure if you're in the USA. You may need one for your county's power type).

Buy it now $34 + $12 shipping

Starting at 99 cents, two days left, and from Mike Simmonds (Englishman_in_Plantcity on these boards)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hello I currently have a Capcom Vs SNK 2 naomi gd rom system running on a Capcom Q sound arcade cabinet.

I am only running the machine on one power supply. It seems to be working fine.

My question is, do I need another power supply? I heard that the naomi gd rom systems needs two power supplies. If so which kind? Where can I get it? And if anyone has any pictures of how the two power supplies are set up. I would like to know to see it visualized as well.

Right now it seems to be working fine but I just installed it. I, however, don't want any bad long term effects.

Thank you.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Not sure I understand what you are asking, but it is normal to have the Naomi mainboard and the GDROM drive connected to the same power supply (the official cable for connecting the GDROM drive uses a splitter that connects to the power loom coming from the PSU).

The original power supply used for Naomi systems is a SUN PSU, like this one (picture taken from giz10p.co.uk):