Error Code 24

Frequently Asked Questions Technical Database
OldFoo

Error Code 24

Post by OldFoo »

Ok, so I have an error code 24: gd-rom not found. I actually have 2 drives. Get the same error on both. I hear the drives are getting power. Anything I can do, or should I just order a replacement kit?

Also, this is generally from overheating? Anything I can do to prevent that? Do they just burn out, or would placing a fan on the unit help?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

This code says that the game you loaded could not be read from. This could mean that either the game has a scratch, smudge or dirt, or there is something wrong with the laser lens. Try using another game to see if it is the disc in question. Also, have either of your drive worked in the past?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I just got the cabinet, but my friend used to play on it. SO the drives did work. He gave me two games, I'll try the other and see what happens right now....

edit: still getting the error 24 with another game

can I just gut a working dreamcast for the parts (which would probably be cheaper), or do I have to order the a replacement kit?
Last edited by OldFoo on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

hello,

for verify the error 24, boot the naomi and you have the error 24 , your GDROM Spinning. at this moment, enter in the test mod and after simply exit the test mod, normaly the error 24 is out and boot your game !!!

if you are another error 24 it's probaly your lens !!!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Ok- ran the tests to see what happened while i was in there

on a Dimm board test it shows dimm0 bad, dimm status bad

still have error 24 upon test exit

So- I need to buy a replacement unit, right?

Can I use a dreamcast lens/board? DOes that require more work/soldering?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

dimm0 bad arf !!!!!!

verefy your RAM !!!

before change the lens, fix your dimm 0 problem.

desasemble your dimm board and clean the RAM !!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Oh no.

So will cleaning the ram actually help? Or am I looking at having to solder in a new chip? Is there an faq anywhere here or a walkthrough on what I can do?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

No, no.:smt018 There are actual computer RAM chips inside the GD Dimm module. Try reseating the RAM and see if that makes a difference. If not, then you may need new RAM.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

hey

for cleaning the Dimm board, desasemble this and remove the Dimm RAM

remove the ram and clean the connector with Dissolvant or essence F or acetone !!!

after this, reassemble the dim board and test !!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Ok, so I took em out and cleaned them. Put them back in. Now I get Dimm slot 0 good, Dimm slot 1 good, dimm status bad. Dimm0 good, dimm1 good, ic34,35s good, ic10,115 good, gd drive bad.

So looks like that problem is solved, right? I just need the replacement lens kit now? And once again, can that be replaced with a dreamcast lens easily, or am I better off just getting a kit from like sega-shed or something?

- thanks for the help so far!