Help a naomi noob out

Frequently Asked Questions Technical Database
OldFoo

Help a naomi noob out

Post by OldFoo »

Hey guys, i just picked up a virtua fighter cab in hopes of converting it to a fighter. the cab has a sega i/o and i was trying to figure out which wire was for the other 4 buttons per player side...

long story short i grounded the wrong wire (a yellow wire). i saw the screen blink and havent had video since.

the monitor still works because i can still degauss it and i can still get into the monitor submenus, i still have audio and controls, everything seems to be working besides the display... what have i broken or what can i do to fix this? have i ruined the naomi mobo?

oh i also have a spare sega i/o so i tried to swap them out but it didnt make a difference
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Naomi cannot work on a virtua fighter cabinet because the monitor is only able to display medium resolution (24/25 Khz).

Naomi either run at low resolution ( 15 Khz) or high resolution( vga / 31 Khz).

So you're out of luck for your project...
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

im sorry i meant virtua tennis

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

What is the yellow wire you grounded? Try tracing it to see what it connects to.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Its in the white molex connector behind the red one in this picture. i goes to the 60pin JST RH connector on the Sega I/O but i know it isnt the the i/o because i have a spare one and i tried swapping it out and it did the same thing.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yellow wires generally indicate 12v. If you grounded this, you most likely fried something. :smt095 :smt072
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I believe I did, I suspect the mother board because I have ruled everything else out. Oh well, I guess I now have an excuse to get a naomi 2 mobo... : D

I took my naomi 1 to a buddies house to test it on his naomi 1 cab and it did the same thing it was doing at my house. Everything worked besides the video output. Sound worked controls worked, I could coin up and push buttons.

Oh well... Whats a naomi 2 mobo go for nowadays?