DIMM errors

Frequently Asked Questions Technical Database
OldFoo

DIMM errors

Post by OldFoo »

Hi all.

Having gotten my arcade bits out of storage, I decided to try play baout with the bits and peices (and maybe try playing a Triforce game). Since the Triforce games I have seem to want 512MB, I tried to upgrade the ram, but all the time I keep getting ERROR 32 - DIMM MEMORY NOT ENOUGH even without loading a disc or game over ethernet. It does it with the sticks I tried except the original stick of ram which even when used in tandem with another stick will still fail.

The RAM I tried to use to see if anything changed was 128MB sticks and 64MB sticks, which the 64mb sticks I know are 100Mhz non-ECC.

Also, I tried loading a game over network (I own the game, just testing the system), and while I got the triforce to start to load, it always stays at 0% despite the board receiving the whole file. Would having less ram cause this? Forget that, it seems to stall even when full yloaded and even restarts the system after loading... but still odd it does that.

Any clues?

(btw, I know it's taboo, but the Naomi 1 "e" bios can net boot, you just can't change the network settings in the test mode)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I might have an idea. I once spoke to someone who had a problem like this. Apparently, on the Tri-Force system, you must include the 'force' command parameter or it would not load correctly.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:I might have an idea. I once spoke to someone who had a problem like this. Apparently, on the Tri-Force system, you must include the 'force' command parameter or it would not load correctly.

Makes sense, just tried it out. Although it loads, still says 0%. Are there known "good" brands of SDRAM? I'm gonna need another 256MB for the second slot, but like I said, all RAM sticks I used caused errors..
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The Dimm will accept any pc100 or pc133 RAM sticks from any manufacturer. What version is your Dimm running?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:The Dimm will accept any pc100 or pc133 RAM sticks from any manufacturer. What version is your Dimm running?

3.03 from VxWorks. Should I run the Triforce DIMM updater on this?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You should have at least version 3.17. Before using the updater, I would wait for other responses because I heard that upgrading to the latest version has a downside that I can't remember at the moment. :smt017
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You need 512MB single sdram or 2 x 512MB sdram, no other type of Ram is suitable.

You do NOT need 3.17 for net booting on Tri/Chihiro type 1.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:You need 512MB single sdram or 2 x 512MB sdram, no other type of Ram is suitable.

And there you have it from the Sega Master himself! :D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:You need 512MB single sdram or 2 x 512MB sdram, no other type of Ram is suitable.

So, because I have two 256mb sticks, that's what's causing the loading error on Triforce?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

NaokiS wrote:

So, because I have two 256mb sticks, that's what's causing the loading error on Triforce?

Indeed.