monkey ball with a world series baseball panel ? - WORKING

Frequently Asked Questions Technical Database
OldFoo

monkey ball with a world series baseball panel ? - WORKING

Post by OldFoo »

Hi all, I'm pretty new to the naomi system. I just got mine last week and I can't stop tinkering with it :D

I built an analog loom for a sega jamma i/o in order to the play world series baseball on my blast city, using the pinout from the analog splitter loom and the CN7 pinout. Works great !

Code: Select all

10 pin AMP UP Female       26 Pin JST RA Female  

01=AChannel0               03       

02=AChannel1               09

03=AChannel2               15  

05=AChannel4               04

06=AChannel5               10

07=AChannel6               16

09=AVCC                    01 

10=GND                     05

Now , I would like to use the P1 analog stick to play monkey ball as well. It doesn't seem to work. When I go to test mode, game settings, input test , I see the H and V numbers move through consistent ranges of values as I move the stick. But when I try to play the game, it's not moving the monkey, or doing anything at the player/difficulty selection menu. :(

I know that it can be done with a zombie's revenge panel. ( http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3740 ) . In this post , goat boy used an adapter to swap VCC and Ground. I tried to do that ( swap pin 9&10 on the AMP UP ) It does reverse how the value changes in the input test menu, but it still doesn't actually work in the game.

I tried to locate a Monkey Ball manual online to find out what parts and pinout it was using, but nobody ever scanned one and posted it online...

Does anyone have any clue what I'm missing here ??

Thanks ! :D :D
Last edited by OldFoo on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldFoo

Re: monkey ball with a world series baseball panel ?

Post by OldFoo »

codecrank wrote:Hi all, I'm pretty new to the naomi system. I just got mine last week and I can't stop tinkering with it :D

I built an analog loom for a sega jamma I/o in order to the play world series baseball on my blast city, using the pinout from the analog splitter loom and the CN7 pinout. Works great !

Code: Select all

10 pin AMP UP Female       26 Pin JST RA Female  

01=AChannel0               03       

02=AChannel1               09

03=AChannel2               15  

05=AChannel4               04

06=AChannel5               10

07=AChannel6               16

09=AVCC                    01 

10=GND                     05

Now , I would like to use the P1 analog stick to play monkey ball as well. It doesn't seem to work. When I go to test mode, game settings, input test , I see the H and V numbers move through consistent ranges of values as I move the stick. But when I try to play the game, it's not moving the monkey, or doing anything at the player/difficulty selection menu. :(

I know that it can be done with a zombie's revenge panel. ( http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3740 ) . In this post , goat boy used an adapter to swap VCC and Ground. I tried to do that ( swap pin 9&10 on the AMP UP ) It does reverse how the value changes in the input test menu, but it still doesn't actually work in the game.

I tried to locate a Monkey Ball manual online to find out what parts and pinout it was using, but nobody ever scanned one and posted it online...

Does anyone have any clue what I'm missing here ??

Thanks ! :D :D

I'm not sure how the game usually works, but maybe it doesn't work with analogue sticks and uses the digital ones instead?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

OK I got it to work.

1) I had to calibrate the stick via the game's test menu.

2) just like with the Zombies Revenge panel, you have to swap the GND and VCC pins or the directions are reversed

I'm off to play with my monkey

:D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I just stumbled on your post on Neo-Geo.com where you got a real Monkey Ball panel and wired it up to a Happ 'pot amp'. Did you try hooking up your baseball stick to the amp board? It sounds like a good option for those of us unlikely to find (or afford) a MB panel.

From what I understand just using the baseball type stick alone doesn't cut it due to travel issues. If the amp board overcomes that we'd be in business!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Random nothing, Monkey Ball will work great in a Planet Harriers cab, I have it running on one side. Naomi 1/2 will just plug right in where the Hikaru board was.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

It's too bad those sticks cost an arm and a leg as well!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Paladin wrote:I just stumbled on your post on Neo-Geo.com where you got a real Monkey Ball panel and wired it up to a Happ 'pot amp'. Did you try hooking up your baseball stick to the amp board? It sounds like a good option for those of us unlikely to find (or afford) a MB panel.

From what I understand just using the baseball type stick alone doesn't cut it due to travel issues. If the amp board overcomes that we'd be in business!

the baseball panel uses analog sitcks whose pots have a large enough travel ( range ), no amp board required. just in game calibration & vcc/gnd reversal.

the amp board increases/lowers the range, and adjusts center too.

but the small sicks suck compared to the large ones when actually playing the game. hard levels are impossible with the baseball panel.