3.17 Dimm Upgrade Disc

Frequently Asked Questions Technical Database
OldFoo

3.17 Dimm Upgrade Disc

Post by OldFoo »

information on updating the dimm boards is scarce to say the least,

recently it was confirmed that upgrading your Naomi Dimm board is possible using the appropriate revision Dimm Upgrade Disc and security IC from the game you need to update firmware for, example: upgrading to 3.17 to use Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned needs to have the security IC from VF4FT Version B

my theory was if the dimm boards need an IC chip aswell as the update disc it would most likely be for the game you need to update it for, in this case VF4FTvers B.

this was confirmed thanks to powervr777

powervr777 wrote:To update DIMM FIRMWARE for VF4FT, you need "GDS-0023E" and VF4FT sec chip.

"GDS-0023E" is bundled disc of VF4FT conversion kit, and work only with VF4FT sec chip.

For your reference, "GDS-0023A" and "GDS-0023C" are older version.

A is for VF4 and C is for VF4EVO.

So, they are not suitable for VF4FT.

hopefuly powervr777 will drop into this thread and post more specific information like other GD upgrade serials and info, but for now, at least we know how to do it.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I have to say one important thing.

Non-NET Ver. DIMM BD cannot update their firmware with those update discs.

Unfortunately, those update discs are only for NET Ver. DIMM BD. :smt009

Update programs in those discs check whether DIMM BD has network function or not.

So, if you try to update non-NET Ver. DIMM BD, you'll see following error message.

"DIMM FIRMWARE VERSION IS TOO OLD OR IT'S NOT SUPPORTED VERSION."
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Explains why Net dimm boards are getting more sort after now.

I had a non-net 3.17 dimm, but it was made out of a 3.17 dimm with parts swapped, so was never really a non-net that got upgraded.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

if you got an original net dimm 3.17 firm there must be a sticker on there from VX Works
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I think most got upgraded by the users themselves.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Last edited by OldFoo on Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

BTW, I've heard following info from Japanese Arcader.

There are only 3 versions of update discs for NAOMI NET DIMM BD, GDS-0023A(Ver.??), 0023C(Ver.2.17), 0023E(Ver.3.17), though firmware versions are more.

In fact, my own NET DIMM BD is Ver.3.03. :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I think my firmware on my Dimm is super old lol, it says 1.02. Old thread I know, but still
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

mine is net version firmware 2.13
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

That it awsome RGP!

Now I just need to know why I should update :D What's possible to do with the 3.17 firm that's not possible with the older ones? Is it just the newest VF4 versions that's the diff?