Convert cab

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Convert cab

Post by OldFoo »

I am about to purchase one or both of these cabs, i was wondering if someone could help me and answer this Question, would it be hard to convert these cabs into 6 button fighting control panels? can you give me steps or things i need to make this happen? oh and also what kind of cabs are these,like names?

- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting

- http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGA-Naomi-Virtua-T ... otohosting
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi & welcome.

First one is an universal cab. Its easy to convert it into a 6 btns panel. You need to buy :

the 2*6 metal plate,

the 2*6 overlay,

the extra buttons

the extra buttons loom

smth like 250-300$ for all the above i guess.

2nd one looks like one of those ugly US universal cab, but i am not 100% sure.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

thanks for the Welcome and lol on that ugly us uni cab

well if its that easy i will get the first one! i guess i'll ask the seller if the second one is a us uni cab or an original jap uni, any more ideas as in custom set ups? :smt004
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

hey gilles54 what can you do with the bios you can download on the main site (seganaomi.com)?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The second one is indeed a US Universal (I have both). The Jap. Style Universal will be easier to convert to a 6 button layout (I've got 4 of these former Virtua Tennis cabs). Both cabs here in the US do not come with Tri Res monitors like they do overseas. The only problem you will run into is that they use Molex connectors as opposed to the more common Amp connectors. All of the control panels that you can get use the Amp connectors so either you have to convert them or buy the replacement wiring looms. Getting parts here in the US is extremely tough as well. I was actually going to buy the first cab just for parts, but $1K for the cab plus shipping would have been too expensive.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

where are you located? oldschoolneo?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Gilles54 wrote:Hi & welcome.

First one is an universal cab. Its easy to convert it into a 6 btns panel. You need to buy :

the 2*6 metal plate,

the 2*6 overlay,

the extra buttons

the extra buttons loom

smth like 250-300$ for all the above i guess.

2nd one looks like one of those ugly US universal cab, but i am not 100% sure.

Hi Gilles, LV310

1st Welcome LV310 :smt006

In addition to the looms for the panel LV310 will likely also need the TYCO JAPANESE looms from the I/O board to the panel. All of the cabinets over here (in the US) have the US MOLEX style connectors. The TYCO JAPANESE connectors are not likely to be on either of those cabinets.

I think Myself, OldSchooNeo, and Northernsoul all purchased universal cabinets. Myself and OldSchooNeo purchased 2 & 3 cabinets respectivly. We both converted ours to Japanese. Northernsoul took the other route and converted a 6 button panel to MOLEX stlye connectors.

There was a nice thread in the old forums with pictures of Northernsoul's conversion.

Northernsoul's route would be a lot less expensive but not as versitile and would require some soldering, crimping, rewiring etc.

The conversion route is more expensive but nice and clean and almost plug n play. And then you can swap all of the unique games with unique panels in and out.

LV310, don't get the big clunky US style cabinet. :smt011

(although it is a Virtua Tennis 2 game not Virtua Tennis 1, VT2 is A+++ :smt023 , Cabinet= :smt019 )

Regards

Bob Presutti
Last edited by OldFoo on Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

thanks guys, i will get the first one for sure, and i will probably be asking who in here has any of the parts i need :D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

LV310 wrote:where are you located? oldschoolneo?

I'm in VA. Bob is spot on in his post. The US Naomi Universal is a BEAST, but it's "Tonka Tough". It's like a tank compared to the other design. If it comes with a VT 2 with GD Rom setup then it might be worth the $.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

well i didn't think about that gd rom stuff haha, i will ask thanks