DC Ikaruga vs. GC Ikaruga

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

DC Ikaruga vs. GC Ikaruga

Post by OldFoo »

Since I'll probably never own the GD ROM, I figured I'd pick up a port. Has anyone played the Dreamcast or Gamecube versions? Which one is better?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The GC has less slowdown, but the slowdown is arguably part of the feel of the game. The GC also has prototype mode, which is actually a pretty interesting way of playing the game.

The DC version overall is more arcade accurate, and the DC pad/stick is much better for playing the game than the horrific GC pad. If you are wanting to cheap out on it, the GC one is decent enough, but only if you have a stick.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Cool. Thanks for the input, Flazh.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I have never played the DC version, but I have the GC version of it, and I love it. It is really the only GC/Wii game that I play.

I don't know what differences there are between the DC and GC version of it, but I do have an extra copy of the GC version (complete), I'd be willing to sell if you are interested.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The differences are these:
  • DC retains all Japanese flavor text. US GC version does not.
  • DC has crisp music and sound effects. US GC version uses pre-recorded MP3 files for music and sound effects, and the quality is lower (muddy sounding).
  • DC mixes sound effects and handles all sound effects concurrently. US GC version drops sound effects if too many simultaneously occur (say, 3 are supposed to happen, then perhaps NONE happen).
  • IIRC, GC has no unintentional slowdown, where the DC version has slowdown pretty frequently (as an early example, the bridge from 1-1 to 1-2 [where the ship takes off into the sky with a big circular explosion effect] slows down on the DC in TATE mode; too many explosions at once also cause DC slowdown - blowing up the bonus rings in 2-2 all at once, for example; even the boxes blowing up in 2-2 cause slowdown on the DC).
  • The GC version forces entire ship + shield to be onscreen at once - the DC version allows you to put all your ship up to the actual hitbox off screen on the bottom of the playing field.
  • The DC VGA adapter allows for a pristine picture. The GC handles at most component video, and cannot therefore attain the quality of the DC picture.
  • The GC has an on-screen chain counter (most convenient) whereas the DC version displays chains on the VMU.
  • The GC has Conquest Mode, where you can zip straight to sections of unlocked levels to practice them. The DC lacks this very nice feature.
  • The GC has demo gameplay for the level sections in Conquest mode. It's not superplay quality but functional.
  • The GC analog joystick is preferrable to the DC d-pad. Believe this.
I dunno if the DC version has Prototype mode or not. I haven't put 20 hours into the DC version yet, neither can I 1cc the game yet.

You want both. And an Agetec stick for the DC version. Don't bother importing the Japanese GC version of Ikaruga - with the exception of the Japanese flavor text being included, it is identical to the US version.