HOTD2 Dreamcast question

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

HOTD2 Dreamcast question

Post by OldFoo »

I've had a question about the Dreamcast port of House of the Dead 2 thats been bugging me since I got it back in '99...why exactly was the blood changed? As far as I can tell, thats the only difference to the Naomi version. Even the textures look to be the same quality, unlike some of the other Naomi - DC ports (Andy can you confirm this?), so why no polygonal blood? Kinda minor I know but still...
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Perhaps it's some kind of censorship during the port over. If you remember back in the day, Street Fighter 2 in the arcades had red blood. But the port to SNES had the blood changed to more of a light-brown, skin type color. :smt019
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AFAIK the blood splaters on the DC version don't look as good.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

i thought you were able to change the blood color in the options on the dreamcast. don't remember as it's been many years since i played it last
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Options like that depend on the game. You'll have to load it to be certain. (Unless someone can remember/know for sure)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

i thought you were able to change the blood color in the options on the dreamcast. don't remember as it's been many years since I played it last
Yeah you can change the blood color in the option screen after you beat a certain mode, but I'm talking about the blood itself. As RGP stated, it just doesn't look the same as the arcade version. In the Naomi version, there are little bits of polygonal blood that spray out and fall to the floor. In the Dreamcast version, its just a quick splatter that disappears very quickly. I was just wondeirng if it was due to a hardware limitation (I suspect maybe it had something to do with a lack of RAM, but I'm not positive.)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Actually the DC version of HOTD2 is not that great.

On the outside it looks like a good conversion,but ultimately it's like the SNES version of SF2 (i.e most people say, arcade perfect, lalala), but the true perfectionist will note the differences.

The worst thing is the screen flashes (obviously!), the HOTD 2 on Naomi is 100% progressive, and has the IR screen sensors, so you can actually get more accurate shooting (and shoot the corners!).

I hate the screen flashes, thank god for the IR Type 2 guns.

The blood effects

The bigger textures are a lot better on the Naomi (same with Crazy Taxi), the bigger textures they reduced in quality to fix in the DC memory.

Missing enemies/attack patterns

Probably why they never did Maze of Kings for the DC, and yes MOZK is a rad game too.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I just booted up my DC version for the first time in a while...I remember the textures looking a lot better for some reason, and I can't believe I never noticed the screen flashes! Looks like its time to track down a HOTD2 cart (good luck, I know.) As a quick sidenote, does HOTD2 use different guns and sensors, I/O board than the first one? I'll have my dedicated cab pretty soon, and it would be cool if I could use the same stuff without having to shell out a lot of money on all the extra hardware.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

HOTD2 uses the Gun IR Type 2 hardware..

Good luck it costs a absolute fortune.

You have to have the 10 sensors perfectly around the screen, you need IR Type 2 guns and a dedicated gun sense hardware.

Its cheaper to buy a HOTD2 machine, than find all the bits you need.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Just tried the House of the Dead 2 which is unlockable in the Xbox HotD 3 and it seems to be the Dreamcast version with the lame blood :smt102 :smt075

Anyone know how HotD 3 Xbox compared to the arcade?