marquees for naomi games

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

marquees for naomi games

Post by OldFoo »

Hi fellas. I have a general question about marquees.

Were all naomi games, 1,2, gd-rom sold with marquees?

Or were there games sold without marquees?

In lots of offerings I see them without marquees.

What's up with that? I can imagine that they got lost when they were used in arcades.

what is the correct term for this? marquee art? or just a marquee?

example of included marquee:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/SEGA-NAOMI-GD-ROM-SP ... C294%3A200

And should all naomi marquees be this shape as well? (the shape of the naomi marquee holder) or were some marquees just in a square shape?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

A lot of 'newer' and 3rd party developed games like Border Down, Under Defeat, Ikaruga, Gigawing 2, Zero Gunner 2 etc. never came with a Naomi shaped marquee but a square shaped marquee instead.

I can imagine them easily getting lost in action too and most of the time it's a color copy and not original anyway. So the games mentioned above only have a repro/custom made Naomi shaped marquee available.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

A couple of things:

It depends on where you live.

In the US, the marquees are long and rectangular, so US Naomi kits with marquees are in that style. Some of these were not made in the JAP/EUR Naomi Uni style.

For example: Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was made with a long rectangular (US) style marquee. There was not one made for the JAP/EUR style marquee holder.

The reverse is also often true. There are many games that were made with JAP/EUR style marquees that were not made in the US style.

Yes, there are also several games that were not made with a marquee at all. As Goatboy said, a lot of the later releases were made with a more "squarish" rectangular piece of artwork that could serve as a type of marquee, though not a marquee in the traditional sense.

The best way to tell if the marquee is real/original or not is the material it's made of.

During the "hey-day" of the Naomi, those games made with an official marquee would have one made of some plastic/vinyl material. They range in thickness - usually three styles (very thick, thinner, and basically see-through.)

Later marquee art is almost exclusively made of poster style paper.

Late additions to the Naomi library are almost guaranteed to have this style or nothing at all.

If you're wondering if a game came with an official Uni (JAP/EUR) style marquee, just ask.

We can probably help with most of them.

For a quick visual, go to the Gallery section, and find the post about "Show off your marquees."

Andy has about 30 or so in there - all original/official. That may help.

Steve
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

goatboy wrote:A lot of 'newer' and 3rd party developed games like Border Down, Under Defeat, Ikaruga, Gigawing 2, Zero Gunner 2 etc. never came with a Naomi shaped marquee but a square shaped marquee instead.

Actually i assume Under Defeat & Ikaruga have the 2 marquees types available. The 'Astro (A4) type' and the 'Naomi type.'