Site like this but with Model 3 Info?

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Site like this but with Model 3 Info?

Post by OldFoo »

This site is amazing!

I'm looking for all information available about Model 3 games (what the dip switches do, if ROM boards are compatible across systems [e.g., can I use a step 2 rom board in a step 1?], what the buttons on the boards do, experiences putting X ROMs in a Y machine, etc).

Is there a site like this one but with Model 3 info?

Thanks in advance.

... Altan

www.aaarpinball.com
OldFoo

Re: Site like this but with Model 3 Info?

Post by OldFoo »

altan wrote:
Is there a site like this one but with Model 3 info?

Not that i am aware of
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I've been collecting Model 3 knowledge over the ages... Good luck finding the info you need (I might be able to answer your questions). Actually Model 3 is so dedicated you'll find really few people involved into it. Which is sad as the system is a real powerball
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks to both of you for the replies. It's quite surprising there isn't a dedicated Model 3 site.

Well... let me ask a couple of questions and see what happens

1) does anyone know of a source for a Model 3 service manual? e.g., the manual that is independent of the specific game and describes the system itself? (perhaps what the dip switches do on some of the boards)?

2) I have a Daytona 2. I also have the board set for a Get Bass (rom, video, cpu...). What will happen if I stick those in my Daytona 2? I realize I will not be able to play it correctly with a racer cabinet, but should it boot? Did they keep the inputs/outputs consistent enough that nothing should blow up?

Thanks!

... Altan

www.aaarpinball.com
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

altan wrote:Thanks to both of you for the replies. It's quite surprising there isn't a dedicated Model 3 site.

1) does anyone know of a source for a Model 3 service manual? e.g., the manual that is independent of the specific game and describes the system itself? (perhaps what the dip switches do on some of the boards)?

2) I have a Daytona 2. I also have the board set for a Get Bass (rom, video, cpu...). What will happen if I stick those in my Daytona 2? I realize I will not be able to play it correctly with a racer cabinet, but should it boot? Did they keep the inputs/outputs consistent enough that nothing should blow up?

Thanks!

... Altan

www.aaarpinball.com

Can't say what get bass will do

THere are a couple of M3 collectors on SegaNaomi so this might be the best place to get info

I can say all of the following will run in a Daytona cabinet

Daytona 2 USA (step 2)

Daytona 2 Power Edition (step 2)

Sega Rally 2 (step 2)

Emergency Call Ambulance (step 2)

Dirt Devils (step 2)

Scud Race / Super GT (step 1.5)

Lemans 24 (step 1.5)

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

altan wrote:Thanks to both of you for the replies. It's quite surprising there isn't a dedicated Model 3 site.

Thanks!

... Altan

www.aaarpinball.com

1/ Dont think you'll be able to source that, you can however read mame source while which has some information about that. There is a bit of trial and error when messing with diff rom chips/dongle... (e.g. changing rom chips to have another game on the pcb etc)

2/ Get bass will boot but I dont see how you can play it with a racing panel? I used my D2 cab to test out M3 boards...
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I doubt if Get Bass will boot. Get Bass is on Step 1.0 hardware, Daytona on Step 2.1.

As far as I know, step 2.0 games can run on 2.1, step 1.0 games can run on 1.5.

So, step 2.1 is downwards compatible with 2.0, and Step 1.5 is downwards compatible with 1.0.

But I could very well be mistaken.

I own a few System3 boards, but I never had the guts to try interchanging the games :-)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Cageman wrote:I doubt if Get Bass will boot. Get Bass is on Step 1.0 hardware, Daytona on Step 2.1.

As far as I know, step 2.0 games can run on 2.1, step 1.0 games can run on 1.5.

So, step 2.1 is downwards compatible with 2.0, and Step 1.5 is downwards compatible with 1.0.

But I could very well be mistaken.

I own a few System3 boards, but I never had the guts to try interchanging the games :-)

2.0 and 2.1 games can be interchanged.

1X games can't.

if what he asks is :" will get bass rom work on Daytona 2 stack?" then short answer is no

if what he asks is :" will the get bass stack boot on the D2 cab and be playable?" then short answer is yes and no. ^^

PS: I think he said he had a get bass stack. ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

footix wrote:if what he asks is :" will the get bass stack boot on the D2 cab and be playable?" then short answer is yes and no. ^^

PS: I think he said he had a get bass stack. ;)

You are absolutely right :-) My bad ;-)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks guys! Sorry for the delay --- I don't check for a week, and wham! Great info shows up. I appreciate it skidog, footix and cageman.

Skidog, can you indicate which of those games requires a security board? I understand that Sega Rally 2 does not require a security board and I'm wondering if it's the odd one or not. I'm pretty sure D2 PE needs a security board.

Regarding the Get Bass --- yes, I have a board stack. I have no intention of playing it on the D2 cab. I'd like to test it out. Perhaps, if it works, I'll put it on eBay and say "it works! Tested", which would probably get more a few more $$$

Finally, what source do you recommend to find the ROMs? I realize they can be burnt, but that's pricey (43 chips for the ROM board itself). eBay?

Thanks again!

... Altan