Please Help: Naomi 1 GD-Rom Setup

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
LGD3

Please Help: Naomi 1 GD-Rom Setup

Post by LGD3 »

Hey guys, newbie here, any help would be appreciated! I'm looking to buy or build (hopefully buy) to exact system shown on this site of the Naomi 1 GD-Rom. Any insight or direction would be great. I'm really hoping I find one fully set up already. Thanks! and sorry if this has been asked before.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Your best bet is to buy the motherboard and jamma converter (if your setup requires it) and buy the gd-rom drive seperately, its pretty rare to find a system already put together for you, most will sell each part seperately to make more money. If you do find one jump on it, because they don't come around very often.
LGD3

Post by LGD3 »

Thanks xmods,

Im not even sure if I need the GD-ROM. I have the Derby Owners Club World Edition cartridge and would love to play it at home, that is why I'm interested in a system. Do I need the GD-ROM? Thanks!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

No not if its a cart, just grab a motherboard and jamma converter (capcom is your best bet) and you are all set to go. The only reason you'd need a gd-rom (disc based) setup is if you plan on playing games only available on disc. But if you just want to play cart based game any working naomi motherboard will work.
LGD3

Post by LGD3 »

perfect! any specific places to buy from? also, would I need cables, power supply, etc... or do they usually come with it? How would the controls work? thanks, sorry for so many ?'s.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Its depends really. The best place to start is the faqs section on the site and then just browse the forums, theres alot of good info here, easy to read and easy to understand. Good luck bud.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Derby Owner's Club is a bit tricky. The game was meant to be played in networked groups in a server/client configuration. What also should be noted is that the game may not even function without the card reader or communication board. :smt009
LGD3

Post by LGD3 »

oh really... hope thats not the case. I have a card reader but its just some generic brand, hope that'll work.

If you guys were in my shoes, could you list what you would get in hopes to get them to all work, all the parts. I know I need 2 things for sure.... thanks you guys!

- Naomi Motherboard

- Capcom Jamma

- ???

- ???
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

LGD3 wrote:oh really... hope thats not the case. I have a card reader but its just some generic brand, hope that'll work.

It's a possibility, I got given a Club Kart Prize cartridge, when you fire it up it just says 'waiting on hopper' (or similar). Without that hopper the game wont even start.
LGD3

Post by LGD3 »

hopper = card reader?