Hello! Newbie looking for answers

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Hello! Newbie looking for answers

Post by OldFoo »

Hi! I'm really interested in building my own cabinet. Specifically, a Derby Owners Club cabinet.

I was just wondering if there were any tutorials out there I can learn from, some knowledge bases of sorts, anything to help me get started.

Now, from the looks of it, a DOC machine would be fairly complicated, so if there are any other projects you suggest that I try out as a newbie first, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Teck
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The thing about this game is that it was not made to be run as a single player game. The system begins with one Naomi system configured as 'Master' and is not directly controlled by any player. It then goes to slave units called 'satellites' and is where each player interacts with the game. The game also uses a card reader which is not readily available and is needed to play the game properly. No configuration that I know of is less than 4 players. In short, I don't think this game can be played in single player mode, even if you had one of the original satellites.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I totally understand that. I was actually going to go ahead and do a 4 player version.

Even if I'm not able to do the DOC , is there any other games you would recommend? Any resources you could point me in the direction of so that I could learn how to set one of these naomi's up?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

This has every manual you could want.....

http://www.segaarcade.com/video/derbyowners.aspx#bottom

As far as other Naomi titles, it depends what your into..... If you like fighting games, Capcom VS. SNK 2, Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned, Guilty Gear XX series are good choices.

Coolest thing about naomi cabinets is that the control panels are swappable. Games like Virtua Golf has a trackball setup. World Series baseball has joystick/batting control. The hardest part is tracking a Naomi Universal cab. Good luck with that, but the cab is slicker than shit and the monitor is amazing.

PM me with question and I'll help you out......... I wasted days of my life tracking down manuals, etc. and would like to put what i learned to use.

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Okay...that DOC cab looks WICKED intense as far as my personal building skills go.