New member - General NAOMI cab question

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

New member - General NAOMI cab question

Post by OldFoo »

Hey guys, I'm new here - some of you may recognize me from Neo-Geo, shmups, arcade otaku, or KLOV forums.

I've looked through the stickies in the major forum sections (systems, tech, and whatever that second one is) without seeing an answer to the question - sorry if it has been asked many times before.

Anyhow, is there a list of all official NAOMI cabinets that were made? I've seen some really attractive ones that are an upright design with a candy-cab-esque look, with one part of the body for the monitor and a separate part for the coin box/mobo/etc. Are these the standard cabs for Naomi? What all did Naomi hardware come in from the factory?

Thanks guys, don't be too rough on me. Or do, if you please. :smt007
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi, and welcome!

Well, as for official cabs, there are ofcourse the Naomi Universal and Naomi Net City cabs, which are the ones you are probably referring to. There is a photo of them here: http://www.sega-naomi.com/hardware.htm

In addition, each cab can potentially run a Naomi, since it is possible to connect the Naomi to a standard JAMMA cab with the proper I/O interface. In addition, the Naomi can be switched from 15khz to 31khz so most monitors can handle the video signal as well.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Awesome, thanks for the info!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

:-)

Oh, and for 'what did the Naomi come in from the factory': there is also a plethora of dedicated cabs that use Naomi hardware. Best source for that would be the Naomi section on system16.com
OldFoo

Re: New member - General NAOMI cab question

Post by OldFoo »

MmSadda wrote:
Anyhow, is there a list of all official NAOMI cabinets that were made? I've seen some really attractive ones that are an upright design with a candy-cab-esque look, with one part of the body for the monitor and a separate part for the coin box/mobo/etc.
Yep, they are official Naomi cabs. If you keep refreshing the sega-naomi homepage you will see some variations made with this cab ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hey Collin,

Nice to see you here.

Yep - unfortunately, we in the US get the less aesthetically pleasing (not to mention, very heavy) wooden cabs and bulky driving cabs.

The JPN/EUR style Naomi Universal cab is metal and plastic, and for the most part, was adapted beautifully for driving and shooting games.

So, as you refresh the sega-naomi.com main page, you'll see the JPN/EUR Universal cab in all it's glory.

Regular, driving and shooting.

I would LOVE to get my hands on the shooting or driving cabs here, but my guess is that they don't come up very often.

The only JPN/EUR Uni-style driving cab I've seen here in the US is the one for Crazy Taxi.

Below are a few pics from around this site to illustrate:

The US "clone" Uni cabs here are a little different, but not by much. The main difference is the coin mech assembly.

The JPN/EUR style cabs have the coin slot above the control panel. On the US "clones", the coin mech is below the control panel, and there is no slot for coins on the cp below the bezel.

For the shooting games, the cabs have a separate "tower" and base which connects to the Uni cab. This is removable of course.

ImageImage

US Naomi shooting games are in those big wooden cabs.

For the driving games, there is a "seat" option for the upright Uni cabs.

ImageImage

The US Crazy Taxi does not have this.

They are beautiful - it would be great to own one of each.

Optimally, I'd love to have one shooting-style cabinet, one driving-style cabinet, and two regular Uni cabs - one with a hori monitor, and one rotated for vert shooters!

Enjoy!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

HI Welcome,

The guys did a great job of summarizing the NAOMI cabs

Not sure if you are in the US or else where but one other big difference is that the wiring looms in the US NAOMI cabs use Molex connectors and the JPN/EU cabs used tyco connectors. Not a real big deal until you get into the custom control panels which are all pretty much wired for JPN/EU style

Geezer sells looms to convert from US to JPN

Another big difference seems to be that the US cabs come only with 31KHz monitor not tri-sync. The JPN/EU cabs could be either but often will have a tr-sync monitor (can be used for JAMMA as well as NAOMI)

Also, the Standup NAOMI's are rare in the us. Ussually they will be a virtua tennis game. They are abundant in Europe.

Bob Presutti
Last edited by OldFoo on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

SkiDog wrote:Hi Welcome,

The guys did a great job of summarizing the NAOMI cabs

Not sure if you are in the US or else where but one other big difference is that the wiring looms in the US NAOMI cabs use Molex connectors and the JPN/EU cabs used tyco connectors. Not a real big deal until you get into the custom control panels which are all pretty much wired for JPN/EU style

Geezer sells looms to convert from US to JPN

Another big difference seems to be that the US cabs come only with 31KHz monitor not tri-sync. The JPN/EU cabs could be either but often will have a tr-sync monitor (can be used for JAMMA as well as NAOMI)

Also, the Standup NAOMI's are rare inthe us. Ussually they will be a virtua tennis game. They are abundant in Europe.

Bob Presutti

Good points Bob.

We're still waiting for a pic of your cabs!! ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi Steve,

I am in the middle of converteing both of my cabs to true universal cab's capable of playing Standad Games, Shooters and customs. One is %100 functional as a gun cab and standard cab and about%90 cosmetically complete.

The other is just getting stated on the gun cab conversion.

Looking for a new jobby right now but once I have secrured jooby will get back too these and then post pics

Bob Presutti