Yeeees! When it rains, it pours.... Naomi hardware.

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Yeeees! When it rains, it pours.... Naomi hardware.

Post by OldFoo »

Exactly four weeks ago today I began ordering Naomi stuff through the internet. I've blown a good $300 on Naomi goods thus far and all I had to show for it up until today was Naomi GD-ROM Service Manual and SCSI Cable (which I overpaid for). And the sad thing is, I only have about half the hardware I needed to make a functional Naomi setup en route.

Then, just before I got off from work I had a free moment which I used to browse craigslist. Lo and behold, one of the most recent listings in the Video Game category read "Sega Naomi", and was designated as being in a bordering county! I immeadietly sent an e-mail stating my intent to purchase the lot of Naomi goods that were advertised. The seller phoned just a few minutes ago and the date and time for the transaction was arranged. A working Naomi motherboard with DIMM Module, JVS to JAMMA I/O board, SCSI Cable, Audio Board, non-working GD-ROM, and two GD-ROM based games (Guilty Gear XX Slash and Capcom vs. SNK 2).

Seller informed me that the GD-ROM drive was rendered useless accidently by himself after the original power supply failed and he attemtped to modify a standard ATX power supply to replace it but got two of the wires going to the GD-ROM in the wrong positions. GD-ROM drive is still detected by the Naomi, but gives "error 25" now. Also, the IC Chip for Capcom vs. SNK 2 is faulty. Forgot to ask him if that was connected at the time he messed up the GD-ROM drive, but I'll be sure to ask him when I go over to pick the stuff up on Sunday afternoon.

In the meantime. Upon arriving home today I found that the original batch of wholesome Naomi goodness that I'd ordered precisely a month ago today had finally completed its voyage across the Pacific to her. Got:

- Naomi DIMM Module

- Sega JVS to JAMMA I/O Board

- Melty Blood: Act Credenza

- Melty Blood: Act Credenza Ver. B

- Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon

All three games came with reprinted paperwork. Reprints are of such good overall quality though that it took some close examination with good lighting to be able to see the minute flaws from them being copies.

These goods which arrived today I bought as working pulls, that were being sold as-is. So there is some chance existent of none of this stuff actually working. But at sub $200 for all five items shipped it seemed worth the risk.

Can hardly wait for Sunday now. :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

So, having possesion of the Naomi hardware now I can see that it's simply not possible for me to customize a PC power supply for this. Simply have never seen power connectors so bizarre ever. Will absolutely have to hunt down a power supply for this.

And a correction. The afforementioned Naomi goods that I got from Japan actually cost me $220.06 grand total, forgot I had paid a friend in Japan a worthwhile commision for helping me buy the stuff.

The guy I bought the Naomi setup from on Sunday was rather stunned that I am planning to mount it into a PC case. Yet, he'd already gutted the Astro City cab he'd gotten the Naomi in and shoved a Dell PC into it running MAME. Oh, the irony.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

game_player_s wrote:So, having possesion of the Naomi hardware now I can see that it's simply not possible for me to customize a PC power supply for this. Simply have never seen power connectors so bizarre ever. Will absolutely have to hunt down a power supply for this.

And a correction. The afforementioned Naomi goods that I got from Japan actually cost me $220.06 grand total, forgot I had paid a friend in Japan a worthwhile commision for helping me buy the stuff.

The guy I bought the Naomi setup from on Sunday was rather stunned that I am planning to mount it into a PC case. Yet, he'd already gutted the Astro City cab he'd gotten the Naomi in and shoved a Dell PC into it running MAME. Oh, the irony.

Why mount the Naomi in a PC case, if I may ask? You will still need to be able to plug in cartridges and stuff.. and the Naomi is not very small in size ;-)

Connectors for the Naomi can be obtained from craig, amongst others: http://www.giz10p.co.uk/cabinet-parts/c ... at_49.html
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Because I have no room for a dedicated cabinet. This guy I bought it from had a whole room of his house dedicted just to arcade units.

Thanks for that link, I'll check that out.