Naomi Universal Cabinet - Sideart vector graphics to share

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Naomi Universal Cabinet - Sideart vector graphics to share

Post by OldFoo »

Hi everyone. This is my first post, so a few lines about me and my new cab, as there seems to be no dedicated forum for introductions here.

Introduction (in italic, continue below if you just want the file :D)

I am a Master student in Biomedical Sciences from Germany, just working on my final thesis. I am, and have been for a long time, interested in electronics and whatever is related to that. In my free time I sometimes work as a stagehand and help out with everything audio/video/sound related. I have also been interested in Japan and the Japanese culture for almost seven years now, all started with video games (and yes, anime I must confess). Last year I finally got to tour through Japan for six weeks, with the occasional visit to arcades. That was when I fell in love with Japanese cabinets, which were so much sleeker than the normal arcade machines I knew from here (mainly old ones, there are almost no arcades around anymore in Germany).

I have recently purchased a Sega Naomi Cabinet and have begun restoring it to its full glory. I "rescued" it from a small, dodgy arcade that was more of a betting office than an arcade. The whole case was coated with nicotine and it took several bathtubs of water to get it relatively clean again (disassembled of course :D). Being a student, I do not have tons of money just waiting to be spent. I know that being a cheapskate and owning/restoring a cabinet do not go well together. This is where previous creative experiences might come into play.

A few years ago I have purchased a cutting plotter as I needed to print a bunch of shirts and doing it myself was more fun, cheaper and now I can cut vinyl for shirts and stickers whenever I want. And there is another huge machine that I can put in my flat ;-)

I looked around on the net for vector graphics for the Naomi, but did not find much, except for high quality images for NetCity and AstroCity control panels.

Hence I created vector graphics for the sidearts myself. As I like to share, and someone of you might want it, here is a link to the download (if you know a better place for uploading/sharing files, please let my know!): http://jumbofiles.com/9iiksizwgmwu

Quick preview: http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3297 ... inetsi.jpg

The eps file format defines the outlines of the various elements, but can be opened end rendered to a pixel-based image in any size without loss of quality by Photoshop and other applications.

I know that the sideart is available at gzip10p for less than 15GBP per side, which is a really fair price. But as I have chrome, red and white vinyl lying around, I will go with that.

If you are interested, I might put up a tutorial on how to make a new control panel from plexiglass, which looks sleek, allows customization and yet costs only ~3GBP (well, it might require a tool you do not have yet, which is around 5GP). I do know that the CP alone is also available at gzip10p for only 25 GBP, but shipping to Germany is a pain in the a** as he is using DHL. In addition to that, making one yourself allows you to decide about the button layout yourself.

I used the same hunk of plexiglass I bought for the CP to make a new instruction cover glass. The method I used for cutting creates very smooth edges, unlike if you would use a saw to cut the glass. Just drop me a PM or a comment here if you are interested. I took pictures, but the whole thing would need some additional description typed out, which I do not have yet.

Most of what I do is, however, not serious restoration work, just improving the way the machine looks in a cost-optimizing manner. I know not everybody likes this, but I think even it is interesting for jst a few of you it is still worth posting here.

Anyways, happy to be around here. Looking forward to a nice and informative time with you guys.