Hello! and some newbie questions

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Hello! and some newbie questions

Post by OldFoo »

I just wanted to say 'Hello' to everyone and ask a few questions for clarification.

First of all, I live in a one-bedroom apartment in Brooklyn, so I don't have room for an arcade cabinet, but I would like to invest in a Naomi GD-ROM system. Are there any suggestions to help cope with the large amount of hardware? I already own an Atomiswave that has been consolized, but that is quite different from the Naomi, from what I've been able to learn.

As far as I understand, I would need the following components: Naomi mobo, GD-ROM drive, DIMM board, I/O controller board, audio amplifier, and PSU. Is there anything else I would need? Obviously, I would need some way to hook up the controllers but, since I would need the separate PSU in order to power the mobo as well as the GD-ROM and I plan on using the Naomi's VGA output, wouldn't a supergun be a bit redundant? Is there any other option? Is there anyplace to get all of the hardware in one fell swoop?

Since having played Guilty Gear X 1.5 on the Atomiswave, I have fallen in love with that series. Unfortunately, it would seem that the sequels (namely GGXX Slash) are still very high in price. What is the general trend for the prices on these games? Is GGXX Slash an exception? Or is the price due to drop soon? Perhaps after GGXX AC comes out?

Finally, I am wondering how many of you have a Dreamcast as well as a Naomi--or would you consider them mutually exclusive? For those of you who have them both, how comparable is the VGA output? Do the games look pretty similar, etc.?

I know it's a lot of questions :smt015 , but any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/4813 ... tle8bs.jpg

easiest way to play Naomi in a non cab environment is with a supergun (uness your MKL and do a consolise job) just not for a GD setup unless you either crank up the 5v (if using a Capcom I/O) or use a seperate JVS PSU

in the next months I am rebuilding a Boardmaster Supergun with JVS PSU and internal Noami I/O board so it can use any CP and power a complete Naomi GD setup properly & safely
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks, Mr-Megalo!

I've been looking in to picking up some hardware, and found what I think is a pretty good deal on a Naomi 1 mobo, Sega PSU, and Sega I/O board (rev.B)--all for $150.

Given that everything is in good, working condition, does this seem like a good buy? I would also like to add a GD-ROM drive at some point, so the Sega power supply is the one to use, right?

I am looking at either consolizing or using some sort of supergun, since I don't have room for a cab. (I saw the consolization that MKL did and it is sweet! :smt007 I asked him for a price quote to do another but, unfortunately, he turned me down. :smt009 ) I only plan on using with a VGA or 15kHz RGB monitor, so I won't need any video encoding or additional power supply--just some way to hook up the controllers (Dreamcast sticks modded for the AW).

I would like to minimize the clutter though, so if you have any tips it would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

HI,

I'm planning on building a "mini" supergun for my Naomi setup.

I plan to have the PSU & Sega IO in one box, along with ports for controls & the relevant credit buttons.

I'm just using a standard ATX supply for the minute.

Can anyone give me the dimensions of the Sega PSU (and Ideally some piccys of each side of the unit, so I can see where connectors are, and fan outlets etc)

I'll keep you updated & may be able to produce a couple of these if it works well.

John
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

dj_johnnyg wrote:HI,

I'm planning on building a "mini" supergun for my Naomi setup.

I plan to have the PSU & Sega IO in one box, along with ports for controls & the relevant credit buttons.

I'm just using a standard ATX supply for the minute.

Can anyone give me the dimensions of the Sega PSU (and Ideally some piccys of each side of the unit, so I can see where connectors are, and fan outlets etc)

I'll keep you updated & may be able to produce a couple of these if it works well.

John

You do know that the Sega PSU is 110v only so would need a stepdown?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

RGP wrote:
You do know that the Sega PSU is 110v only so would need a stepdown?

Yes I do, but incorporating the stepdown into the design would make the unit a lot bigger, and a waste of space for anyone using the ATX supply.

I just thought that if I had dimensions for a Sega unit, that the box I source could be big enough for either PSU, and then have the stepdown as an external box.

If you have piccys & measurements, that would be great.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

There about as big as a ATX PSU, sorry not got 1 to take measurements.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Just to clarify, the Sega PSU is the one that WILL power both the Naomi 1 mobo and the GD-ROM drive, correct?

Can someone please comment on my other points as well?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Naomi game prices tend to fall at a very slow rate, so don't hold your breath. There are games I would also like to buy, but not at their current prices :smt019 .

There's alot of people, including myself, that have both Naomi and Dreamcast hardware. At times, there are also discussions on the differences and similarities of arcade and home counterparts. Only a few qualify as really good translations. I have had the pleasure of running the Dreamcast on VGA and I can say the quality is actually quite good. Naturally, it varies from game to game, but similar overall since both systems run at the same resolution.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

brumma wrote:Just to clarify, the Sega PSU is the one that WILL power both the Naomi 1 mobo and the GD-ROM drive, correct?

Yes, as will a ATX PC PSU with the right adapter.