Noob in the house....ZZZZZZAAP!!

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Noob in the house....ZZZZZZAAP!!

Post by OldFoo »

Hello all!

Just thought id sign up to the forum as im gearing myself up get into this Naomi lark.

(Better late than never eh?)

Im looking forward to building my first supergun as a 'keep me busy thru winter' project and eventually get hold of a Naomi setup and a copy of GGXX to play on it.

Id also like to reveal ive no prior electrical knowledge and doing this totally off info thats published on the net so I may eventually need a few friends thatll point me in the right direction and also stop me from....

A - Killing Myself.

B - Killing Someone Else.

C - Blowing Up Some Equipment Ive Saved Up Hard For.

:smt011

For now though im pretty safe, ill only start to worry once i start plugging things into the wall.

Anyway.... Im gonna hang around and read through the forum and try and get my head round all this 2xPSU, I/O, GD etc etc stuff.

Once my S'Guns up and running start thinking about obtaining a Naomi 2 Setup. Ive notived some kits on the Coin-op Express site that seam to be extremely cheap for whats being offered (taking in to account that combining the items as singles is well over ?100 more expensive). Basically a Naomi 2 GD ROM set-up and game for less than ?300 quid...is this normal?

They seam to be a reputable company but has anyone had any dealings with them and their used goods?

What gets me slightly concerned is the price guide on this site, it seams too good to be true....

I just hope someone can point me in the right direction...

:)

Right enough of my ramblings...

Looking forward to speaking to Y'all.

In a bit.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

HI! And welcome to the forums! :smt006

You shouldn't have to worry about shocking yourself and blowing something up as long as you use common sense. Everything has a specific connector that usually fits only one way. There are also hookup diagrams both on this site and others. This does not mean you can't mess something up, but that's where the common sense comes in. ;)

From what the members on this forum say, CoinOpExpress delivers the goods. Just keep in mind that they have alot of 'red tape' with e-mail messages and that you probably won't get your stuff until 2-3 weeks. :smt019 Other than that, they are pretty good.

P.S. DON'T attempt to use 2 psu's on a single system unless you ask someone on these forums. I'm sure you don't want - ZAP!! POOF!!! FIZZ...... :smt073 :smt103
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Theos,

Welcome to the forum!

I have been playing with superguns for a long time now, and am about to start on another one.

I'm hoping to do a step by step quide with piccys at the same time.

In the mean time, can you answer a couple of questions.

Where are you based (i.e. country)?

Is this for Naomi only, or JAMMA as well?

Which Naomi I/O do you have? Sega or Capcom?

What PSU are you planning on using (Sega, Arcade or ATX)?

I'll get my camera out tonight, and start a thread on superguns I think.

john
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hello again...

Thanks for the welcome.

Having a look around it seams as if theres a nice little community going on here...

Im based in the Northwest UK.... St Helens to be precise (thats halfway between Liverpool and Manchester).

My Supergun is/was for just jamma and to be more specific to play my copy of Capcoms AvP. But ive always been into Street Fighter and the like and now would love a Naomi just to play GGXX in all its glory.

I currently do not have an I/O but ive been looking at getting one of the kits off of coin-op express and they seam to mostly have the Sega ones bundled in with them. Ive readand get the impression that the capcom ones are better ....?

The PSU ive got at the moment is a bog standard AT PC one....+/-5 etc, no 3.3 and its not adjustable from the outside, will there be a screw internal?...Ill investigate.

Would it be easier to just obtain another PSU thatd be more suited to running both my JAMMA and Naomi set-up together or just crack on with what ive got?

Also...my Superguns gonna be running thru a scart and Naomi is VGA, does this mean im gonna have to sacrifice one for the other or will the convertor handle it so i can play Naomi thru both but jamma just thru a TV.....?

Think im trying to absorb more info than my head can handle at the moment so excuse me if im a little slow on the up-take.

All help is fully appreciated....

Thanks joshua3dg for the Coin-op Ex' Info not much of an 'Express' if it takes 3 weeks but dont suppose less than ?300 for a near complete Naomi 2 GD Setup is much to grumble about (or is it)....just need to get this S'gun finished and decide what to buy.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Theos wrote:Hello again...

Thanks for the welcome.

Having a look around it seams as if theres a nice little community going on here...

Looks can be deceiving! - Only Joking

Im based in the Northwest UK.... St Helens to be precise (thats halfway between Liverpool and Manchester).

From near Bradford myself, but now stuck in Milton Fooking Keynes

My Supergun is/was for just jamma and to be more specific to play my copy of Capcoms AvP. But ive always been into Street Fighter and the like and now would love a Naomi just to play GGXX in all its glory.

I currently do not have an I/O but ive been looking at getting one of the kits off of coin-op express and they seam to mostly have the Sega ones bundled in with them. Ive readand get the impression that the capcom ones are better ....?

Capcom is good, as you get the 3.3v produced by the I/O from a standard Arcade PSU, but if you're using an ATX supply, that won't matter, as you can tap the 3.3v from there.

The PSU ive got at the moment is a bog standard AT PC one....+/-5 etc, no 3.3 and its not adjustable from the outside, will there be a screw internal?...Ill investigate.

Would it be easier to just obtain another PSU thatd be more suited to running both my JAMMA and Naomi set-up together or just crack on with what ive got?

A proper Arcade PSU will allow you to alter the voltage output. I'm not sure of a PC supply that allows this. I know the 3 I've opened have no adjustment feature.

If you use the Capcom I/O the supply in your supergun should be fine, if not, you may want to do what I'm doing which is use an ATX supply for the Naomi, and the supergun supply for the I/O. Or you could get the Sega supply.

Also...my Superguns gonna be running thru a scart and Naomi is VGA, does this mean im gonna have to sacrifice one for the other or will the convertor handle it so i can play Naomi thru both but jamma just thru a TV.....?

The I/O has a VGA input which you connect to the Naomi output. The I/O then displays the image via the JAMMA video pins, and so on your SCART TV.

Think im trying to absorb more info than my head can handle at the moment so excuse me if im a little slow on the up-take.

All help is fully appreciated....

Hope that was some help! If you don't ask, you never find out.

Any probs, PM me, or just repost.

John
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks again!!!

Some very useful and informative info for a newbie such as myself....

Ill post up some pic of my SuperG' as its taking shape, just so you know how much of an amateur i am.....then you can feel free to add comments and/or abuse as you see fit.

Its all good.