Convert upright Crazy Taxi to Initial D?

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Convert upright Crazy Taxi to Initial D?

Post by OldFoo »

Hi, I have an upright Crazy Taxi, which I am thinking of converting to an Initial D setup. Now, I am still very new with naomi hardware so I don't even know where to look, but I am trying to find out if the existing hardware(IO, wheel, pedals, etc.) will work with Initial D? I believe I need to swap out my mobo for a Naomi2 and use my GDrom setup. But, I have plenty of Naomi2 and GD drives at my disposal. Just need to know if the IO and everything else that I presently have will work with Initial D. Anyone know? Have a part list I can compare to that Initial D needs? I don't really care about having a card reader(yet), so that feature I can do without.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hardware wise all you need is the Naomi2 & GDROM setup as the IO will work fine.

You will need to change some pins on the IO as the gears are on different pins, the info has been posted on here many times so a quick search should get you the info you need.

Setch
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

setch wrote:Hardware wise all you need is the Naomi2 & GDROM setup as the IO will work fine.

You will need to change some pins on the IO as the gears are on different pins, the info has been posted on here many times so a quick search should get you the info you need.

Setch

Awesome! I'll search for the pin changes. Thanks!!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

initial setup:

http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

this machine comes from a safari ....

I'm just preparing another Initial D by starting a taxi ....

follow my post ... for help

http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=105

:smt006
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

the info has been posted on here many times so a quick search should get you the info you need.

-------------------------------

Weeds Season 7 DVD

How I Met Your Mother Seasons 1-7
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

There's some good info, I believe including wiring diagrams, here:

http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5427

if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask me!

Also, I should mention that the CT upright won't have GD rom wiring by default; you'll need the sub-harness to power that, or add the wiring to the existing harness yourself.

Also, making the card readers work is a pain in the ass if I'm honest. The worst part is tracking down or making all the necessary wiring, as there are a good 4 wiring harnesses and a secondary power supply used.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thank you for the link! What I ended up doing is getting an Initial D2 twin :) I have a CT Hiroller sitdown and the standup CT. The standup CT I would like to convert to a normal 1p/2p (non driving) with joystick/buttons, but haven't found anything yet. If someone does have the whole setup so I can pull out the wheel and pop in joystick/buttons, let me know!!

In any case, I still prefer to use the standup CT as it boots in a matter of seconds, whereas the chihiro hiroller takes forever to boot(10+ minutes, and sometimes it doesnt load properly and need to reboot). The initial D takes less than half the time. Both are gdrom based. I was looking at converting the chihiro to a CF boot, but I actually havent found too much info on doing it for a chihiro(I eventually will do all my gdrom naomis to cf).