Hi! I'm a new naomi-lover, in search for some suggestions

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Hi! I'm a new naomi-lover, in search for some suggestions

Post by OldFoo »

Hi! :smt006

I'm Yami, I'm not new to the arcade scene, nevertheless until now I was a Neogeo and Jamma collector.

Today I had the opportunity to buy a Naomi mainboard + Dead or Alive 2 + Virtua Striker 2 ver. 2000 at a price which I thought was convenient (50 ?)

...so here I am! :D

I will receive the Naomi mainboard and games in next days, meanwhile I'd like to collect some info.

So, I've read some articles and FAQ about Naomi, and I think that, apart the mainboard, I'll need:

1. a CAPCOM IO BOARD + cables

2. a POWER SUPPLY

I've seen there are some CAPCOM IO BOARD for sale on Ebay, but price seems a bit high... there are some other resources to buy this IO board?

About the power supply: which is the most "clean" and easy solution? Where I can find a PSU that will connect and work easily with my Naomi 1?

And, finally, how can I know the region of the mainboard?

Thanks!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Welcome to the Naomi. I just got my setup about 6 months ago and I've done a lot of research during that time. Honestly, Capcom I/O's are way over-priced on ebay and can be had for well under $100 if you look hard enough. Here are a couple of places where I've bought the majority of my Naomi setup and games...

(1) www.fujitacommunications.com

- Capcom I/O w/out wiring for 2,500Y or about $30

(2) www.hklegend.com.hk

- Capcom I/O w/ wiring for $88

- It's shown as out of stock but I'm sure they can track one down for you

As for the power supply -

If you are just running the Naomi 1 or 2 motherboard without GD Rom drive then your cabs psu is sufficient enough. Just hook up your jamma harness to your Capcom I/O and you're good to go.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi and thanks for the answer! :smt006

I've read also the FAQ and suggestions for beginners on this forum.

I've sent a couple of emails, stay tuned please! :D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Glad to help yami!

Send me a PM if you have any other questions. I may not be checking this thread too often.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Finally I got my Naomi and I had the chance to open it and see the bios.

It is "D", right?

And what about the "REV D" sticker? What does it means (on another Naomi there was a "REV A").

Thanks

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The rev. sticker just tells what bios revision it is. In your case you're using reversion D and A.

Here is a BIOS revision compatibility list. ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

JustJanek wrote:The rev. sticker just tells what bios revision it is. In your case you're using reversion D and A.

Why D and A? I see only D... :smt017

Both letters are referred to BIOS?

So with this bios I cannot use GD Rom, I suppose.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

yami wrote:
JustJanek wrote:The rev. sticker just tells what bios revision it is. In your case you're using reversion D and A.

Why D and A? I see only D... :smt017

Both letters are referred to BIOS?

So with this bios I cannot use GD Rom, I suppose.

Oh, sorry I might've misunderstood you when you said "on another Naomi there was a "REV A"".

Just know that it means it's the revision of the bios. :smt023
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

So with this kind of bios I should not be able to connect a GD Rom reader, right?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Just swap out the bios then. There's tons on ebay. I bought a jap and usa bios for my Naomi 2 off one of those sellers.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=na ... s&_sacat=0