Do different revisions of a game use the same security chip?

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Do different revisions of a game use the same security chip?

Post by OldFoo »

For example, do Melty Blood Act Cadenza ver.A and ver.B use the same security chip? What about the original Senko No Ronde, the New Version, and SP?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I'd say that's a developer's preference. But, for the most part, each game has a different key. For example, look at the different versions of VF4. Evo and Final Tuned have different keys, but sometimes you get 2 GD-ROMs with different revisions that use the same key.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yes,they all use the same chip,also Eng/Jap version share the same chip.

For example VF4 FT, Rev A, Rev B = same chip

Initial D Eng/Jap = same chip

Outrun 2 SP Jap/Outrun 2 SP Eng = same chip

Outrun 2/Outrun 2 SP = not same chip.

Initial D2/Initial D3 = not same chip

So only if the game is same game, different region or a revision update will it be the same chip, otherwise a new chip.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I have Initial D2 for USA(EXP) and JPN and they both have different chips even though they are essentially the same game, but different languages.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hmmm... It doesn't seem like we can make any generalities here. I own Melty Blood Act Cadenza and have a chance to buy the GD-ROM of version B that doesn't include a key. I was just curious if it would work with my key. But unless someone has first-hand experience I'm not sure it's worth the chance.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Same with Guilty Gear XX reload, red & blue=same chip.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

brumma wrote:Hmmm... It doesn't seem like we can make any generalities here.

Actually, I generalized (in my previous post) that it is the developer's preference whether or not the new version of a game will use the same or different chip. So, unless someone on this forum knows for sure, there is no way to accurately guess if the chip is the same or not. Sorry! :smt102 :smt109
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Worth noting the security is very weak, and will be broken once GD-ROM games get emulated.

So I am hoping we will be able to duplicate the PICs, although I wouldn't condone bootleg GD-ROM discs.

I've got 3 discs missing a PIC, and Sega will not sell PICs.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I've been researching on how to copy the PIC's for a while now. I have some empty re-programmable chips to experiment with. What I need to get next is a certain type of programmer/device to grab the code as it is being used by the Naomi. Besides this, the only way would be to take a Dremmel to a perfectly working PIC. :smt018
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:Besides this, the only way would be to take a Dremmel to a perfectly working PIC. :smt018

I think you might have trouble finding volunteers... ;)