The (kinda) Comprehensive Naomi Power and Connector Thread

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

The (kinda) Comprehensive Naomi Power and Connector Thread

Post by OldFoo »

So after scouring the forums, websites, catalogs, and more, I've compiled the following information about the Naomi power connectors. This is by no means final, and people should please respond with additions (I'll do my best to fuse them into the main post here). All credit goes to where credit is due. *looks directly at AndyGeezer* :smt006 Again, I didn't come up with this stuff on my own, I just aggregate. ;)

First off, check out the complete Naomi wiring diagram:

http://www.sega-naomi.com/resources/manuals/NaomiWD.pdf

The Naomi requires 4 different kinds of line potentials:

+12V (red wire)

+5V (yellow wire)

+3.3V (brown wire)

GND (white wire)

If these voltages sound familiar, that's because they're all standard ATX voltages (i.e. you can get these voltages from a computer power supply). As a matter of fact, there are people who sell adapters from ATX power supply to Naomi (search ebay or google). The two big blocky connectors on the Naomi motherboard (CN1 and CN2 in the wiring diagram) are from a Japanese company called JST, from their VL line (search under wire to board connectors). The datasheet can be found here:

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eVL1.pdf

The smaller connectors going to the I/O board (CN 6) and GD rom drive (unlabeled on wiring diagram) are also from JST, but from the NH line. Datasheet can be found here:

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eNH.pdf

If you want to connect those to your ATX power supply, you can do so through the 4 pin peripheral connectors (the ones that go to your harddrive and CDROM drives) as they only use 12V, 5V and GND. The Molex part numbers are:

Pin housing: AMP 1-480426-0

Pins: AMP 60620-1

As for availability of all these parts, the JST connectors are rather hard to find. On the JST website, you can search for exact part numbers and it will return a list of distributors. The Molex parts, on the other hand, are extremely common and they (or their equivalents) can be found almost anywhere.

TODO:

1.Identify the third, non-VL connector on the Sega power supply (seems to be AMP brand).

2.Find sources for JST connectors.
Last edited by OldFoo on Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Nice job! Keep it up !
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

JST connectors can be got as free samples directly from JST (www.jst.com), but they seem to be phoning people if you make too big an order :smt018

Alternatively, you can buy them from rs components. I bought a load a few months ago.

Finally, the AMP connector is a Universal Power connector. These are as rare as rocking horse shit, and the only way to get hold of them is by buying old Model 2 & 3 looms & butchering them. That's how I got hold of some (oh and of course with Mr Geezer's 1337 networking contacts!) :smt016
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AMP UP is sold by starcab.net but the prices are ridiculous. However, it's a source and if you only need a couple it's OK.

You don't have to search ebay to buy Naomi ATX adapters or power harness for your Naomi GD-Rom, I usually have a few for sale :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Does anyone have any of the JST VL connectors for sale? I am looking for the 8-pin and 6-pin versions that are wired to the power supply and attach to the back of the Naomi 1 board. I'd also be interested in the square/rectangle pin connectors.

I did find the below on the JST website thanks to the earlier posts, but don't see the 8-pin version and believe they only come in orders of 100.

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=264

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

well-known sources are www.andygeezerservices.co.uk, giz10p.co.uk, and if in dire need, as a last resort, when andy or craig do not have any, etc, etc: starcab.net. And there are others as well. :-)