Taito X2 Troubleshooting...

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Taito X2 Troubleshooting...

Post by OldFoo »

Has anyone had luck running different games on the same Taito X2 system?

I am up a creek at the moment and can't tell if I am troubleshooting a faulty X2, config or game issue.

I have an Aquarian Age Alternative Satelite X2 unit, a hard drive and key for KOA Reg A and a SEGA Naomi I/O Board Rev B. The X2 unit specs are P4 3.4ghz 512MB GRA X1600 Pro (ATI Radeon)

With the orig hard drive (it didn't come with any usb key)

The unit goes through the boot, you see the cursor, the screen goes wonky (higher res then a tri-mode Nano monitor) then reboots. (Hook it up to a computer monitor, same story but never goes wonky.)

With the KOA hard drive and key installed in the sysetm.

The system boots up, you see the cursor, it shows a DOS window with KOA in the title bar and seems to load the KOA executable but then the screen goes black and reboots. (If you hit the coin switch you will hear a inserted coin when the screen first goes black, then it becomes unresponsive just before it reboots)

I started down the path that it may be that KOA needs different hardware specs (i.e. A NVIDIA video card or more memory.)

I tried a NVIDIA 7300GS (512), 7600GS (256), 7600GS(512). All will boot the system, but the interesting thing was that the 7600GS(512) was the only one that didn't display any form of post while booting in the Taito X2...

I also tried bumping the ram up to 1GB with some "compatible" Kingston ram. (Boots fine, but no idea if there are any checks for specific configs, etc)

From pictures on-line of original KOA and Battle Fantasia units they all have Dual DVI video cards (unknown model - perhaps 7900GS) Can anyone confirm this? If you know if it is a 7900GS, do you know if / how the extra power is hooked up to the card?

I'm using a tested working Naomi I/O with the coin switch / hooked up & player 1 controls. (The wire config will boot games like ChocoMarker for Naomi which do weird things unless there is a complete connected JAMMA harness) Does anyone know if a specific I/O works or doesn't work?

Any other thoughts or tips for troubleshooting??

Thanks!