Gundam technical help!!

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Gundam technical help!!

Post by OldFoo »

This is continued from the 'Linking Cabinets' topic.

:smt100 Has anyone sucessfully linked a set of Gundam carts? I've been trying, but had no success. Here's what I have: :smt100

2x Naomi2 setups

2x Gundam vs Zeon carts

2x Communication boards

2x Fiber Optic cables

Both mobos have the same bios (export); both carts are the same version; fiber optic cables have been connected as shown on the Sega-Naomi main website (under hardware). Before the game starts, it says it is attempting to establish a connection, then time-out. One is set to master, one to slave. There is a "Max Line" option, but I don't know what it does. :smt102

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated. :smt033
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Bump!

:smt100 Please! I still need help! Has anyone done this before? :smt100

:smt120
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I can't remember if I answered your PM about this but I can't help you as I've never tried to link. I'll ask at the swedish forum I frequent and maybe someone there knows anything.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You don't need any more hardware atleast, that's confirmed.

I can't get info about your problem or how to boot 'em up though.

Are the cables intact? Have you tried any others? (like some from your stereo or home cinema setup or whatever)

Does both setups play 100% errorfree separately?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I've go it. What bioses do you run? You have to use atleast F-version according to the sega-naomi bios table. I'm not 100% sure that is the problem but that it my guess.

If you can get this confirmed I'm be able to help you reprogram or get you new updated bioses.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks for the reply. I see what you are saying, but the ver. F you mentioned is for Naomi1. I have Naomi2 Export bios ver. EPR-23608. According to the list, this bios supports linking.

Both games play perfect. RAM and ROM tests show all is good. As for the linking cables, they are 100%, brand-spanking new and tested on audio equipment. I also switched with other cables, but same result. :smt012
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Ah, you run naomi 2 boards... no id?a then. Hmm... is it possible they aren't 100% backwards compatible when it comes to linking? Just speculating...
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Do you have any idea what the option 'Max Line' does? It's directly under the 'Master/Slave' linking option. It can be changed from 1 to 4, but changing it hasn't helped. :smt017
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

My guess is only the obvious, number of players. But if changing it doesn't help, I don't know. Remember I've never tried linking at all.

If I were you I'd try with naomi 1 motherboards. If you can afford two naomi2 setups getting a couple of naomi1 mobo's to try this should be no biggie ;)

Could one or possibly both of the linking boards be broken? Is that possible to test?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I have extra comm. boards I can test with, but they are in storage right now. I'm going to have to find the box and swap them out, just to eliminate them as a possible problem. :smt011