Intial D Card Reader Problem

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Intial D Card Reader Problem

Post by OldFoo »

I have a Naomi 2 board set that works fine with Intial D 1. I had picked up several card readers that are supposed to work, but when I hook them up and attempt to initialize them from the test menu, it says "Error"-"Connection Error". I have checked the wiring diagram several times and know I put it together correctly. The little printer mechanism does cycle up and down when I turn it on and the low card LED lights. I have checked the voltages and those are correct but I guess it can't communicate. My game is a USA version but the printing inside the card readers is in Japanese, are there different versions of the card reader for USA and Japan? Is this a reader repair problem or something else? Without the communication, when I enable the reader in the test menu, the game won't start. I don't have the orginal wire harness so I had to make one. As per the wiring diagram, I hooked up the communication wores to the CN8 connector on the mobo with the following pinouts:

1-RXD

2-TXD

3-GND

4-RTS

5-CTS

6-GND

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The readers use the Naomi's serial ports, so the Send and Receive wires need to be reversed on one side (Ex. Send->Receive). If you arranged the wires the same on both sides, then this is why there is no communication.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You need to enable serial on the Naomi 2 mainboard, most are not set.

It is a case of setting the jumpers.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks guys, where are the serial ports? I take it the CN8 connector on the interface board on the front of the mobo is not it. Where do I set the jumpers? Is there more information on this somewhere? Thanks again!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

NickH wrote:Thanks guys, where are the serial ports? I take it the CN8 connector on the interface board on the front of the mobo is not it. Where do I set the jumpers? Is there more information on this somewhere? Thanks again!

Yes the RS422 is on the filterboard, by default Naomi 2 has everything disabled like that.

Last edited by OldFoo on Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks Andy, I see a row of 7 jumpers, which one enables the serial port?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I set the jumpers as indicated in the picture and the card reader now works, issue resolved!

I would be curois to see what each jumper is for though...

Thanks again!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:
NickH wrote:Thanks guys, where are the serial ports? I take it the CN8 connector on the interface board on the front of the mobo is not it. Where do I set the jumpers? Is there more information on this somewhere? Thanks again!

Yes the RS422 is on the filterboard, by default Naomi 2 has everything disabled like that.

re-post picture? thanks :smt004
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

fixed!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:fixed!

Andy have any explanation on these jumpers? thanks :smt006