power supply margin of error?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

power supply margin of error?

Post by OldFoo »

I got a power supply from lizardlick.com (meanwell). It seems theres a bit of discrepency between the voltages, about .4 or .5v. What i mean by this, is if I adjust to 5.1v, my 12v is around 11.7 or 11.8. Should I try to split the difference, and run maybe 5.2 and 11.9, or should I suck it up and order a higher quality power supply? Right now im at 5.18 and 11.90 for what its worth, and would like an expert opinion before this gets hooked to my JAMMA harness/capcom I/O.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Did you make this measurement while the board is connected? Making measurements with and without load will give different results.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

this was with no load. I guess I'll go ahead and hook up the jamma harness, IO, and power from the IO to the NAOMI, and check again. Should I check voltage directly at the terminals on the power supply again, or find another point to measure at?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

hooking it up seemed to straighten out the 12v. im at 5.12 and 12.21, everything looks to work fine. I read you want 5v at 5.1, and I'm assuming the .21 on the 12v isn't going to hurt anything. Thanks!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

skate323k137 wrote:hooking it up seemed to straighten out the 12v. im at 5.12 and 12.21, everything looks to work fine. I read you want 5v at 5.1, and I'm assuming the .21 on the 12v isn't going to hurt anything. Thanks!

Those are fine readings :-)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I just got a net dimm, to avoid lugging around a full setup with gd-rom or carrying extra carts

Some games run fine, but others crash at processer intensive parts, or did not detect I/O. I turned the voltage up to around 5.2 and 12.5, it straightened out some issues, but some games still crash out. How much higher is it safe to push the voltage? I'm just running a capcom I/O, PSU, and naomi1 mobo with a net dimm, no power to a gd rom or anything.

it looks like about 5.3 /12.7 measured at the PSU lets most of the stuff work. That's not too "hot" for the 12v is it?

edit: screw it, i'm going to turn it back down to 5.1, just power the capcom i/o off the jamma harness, and get a sun PSU for the naomi.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

skate323k137 wrote:edit: screw it, I'm going to turn it back down to 5.1, just power the capcom I/o off the jamma harness, and get a sun PSU for the naomi.

Good idea, the Capcom I/O is only designed to power a regular cart setup. The NetDIMM has a lot inside of it that a regular cart doesn't have, thereby needing more power.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

My cart setup is pretty nice and neat, and very transportable; I'd rather not swap out the PSU completely.

So here's my plan;

I'm going to take a monitor power cord extension like this one and cut it in half.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812200597

I'm going to attach one half to the power supply above at the mains/ground (bottom three terminals). The other half I'll attach to the mains on the Sun PSU and ground to a screw on it's case as I've seen others done; basically creating a power outlet for the extra PSU when I need it. That way when I want to run a net dimm or GD Rom setup, I can just disconnect the power from the capcom I/O to the NAOMI, and plug the sun PSU into the mains and NAOMI. I/O will still run off the first PSU.

After much googling and research this is the 'best' solution I can come up with. Anyone see anything wrong with this?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Odd choice. I don't really see the reason for using the Capcom I/O unless you're retro-fitting a JAMMA cab or using it with a supergun. The Sega JAMMA I/O v1 is a lot smaller, you could fit it and the Sun PSU in the same space as your Capcom I/O and the cab-style PSU, and have power for a cartridge setup and a GD-Rom setup on your board there. You might even be able to fit a GD-Rom drive by switching those two components on that board (it'll be close, but you don't have any room now). Some minor rewiring will be needed --I think the kick harnesses are differently wired (same connector, though) and you need to hook up power to the Sega I/O.

About your idea, if you do that, make sure you power the Naomi and GD-Rom from only from the Sun PSU, not having the Capcom I/O's power plugged into the Naomi, as that can sometimes cause problems. You'll still have to have power going to the JAMMA connector for just the Capcom I/O.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yeah, I would definitely -not- have power from the capcom i/o to the naomi, just use the 'cab style' psu to power the jamma harness on the i/o. Only connection between the i/o and naomi at that point would be USB. The Naomi and GD rom, if i used it, would be strictly powered off the sun psu. I know it's not necessary to have both power supplies.

I suppose if I can come across a sega i/o on the cheap, it would work out to do what you suggested. I could easily re-wire my controller ports to the sega i/o, it would definitely require a change in pinout. I'm just using the capcom i/o because I got a really good deal on the naomi, mvc2 cart, and capcom i/o as a bundle. I didn't think a sun psu would be necessary for a net dimm without a gd rom drive, but the net dimm is definitely kicking the capcom i/o's ass on the 3.3v output.