Connecting Monkey Ball CP

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Connecting Monkey Ball CP

Post by OldFoo »

I bought a NAOMI Universal Cabinet, but I'm having trouble hooking up my Monkey Ball control panel. The game itself runs, and I can even start a game if I hook up the Virtua Tennis CP that came with it. The Monkey Ball CP has only 1 button and an analog joystick.

Here is a pic of the connectors that come from the Monkey Ball CP:

http://www.vortiginous.com/sdkess/mb-ar ... -panel.jpg

Here is a pic of the connectors that come from the machine that the Virtua Tennis CP was hooked up to:

http://www.vortiginous.com/sdkess/mb-ar ... om-cab.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: The black plug is actually an adapter. Here is the connector on the MB CP that the adapter was plugged into:

http://www.vortiginous.com/sdkess/mb-arcade/actual.jpg

The 3x4 white square plug from the CP appears to be for the digital button. The 2x5 plug (or the black one with the adapter) seems to be for the analog stick. The smaller white plug doesn't seem to serve a purpose.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

:smt006 Hello and welcome, have you tried the 'search' function here?. i'm sure this has been discussed many times over the years ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Monkey Ball panel isn't original.

The loom you bought from me is no use here.. :smt012

You can plug the black 26pin JST RA connector direct to the I/O this will be for the analogue bannana stick.

The 12pin AMP UP connector is standard, it will be for the start button.

However your Naomi is USA built, which means it does not support AMP UP panels - meaning you'll have to modify the wiring loom to be AMP UP.

I still don't know why USA Sega cabs used crap molex, I am guessing molex is a USA company.. but still the worst wiring looms I've seen.

You could just use the Virtua Tennis Player 1 loom and just wire it to the start button on monkey ball panel, at least you'd be able to play the game.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

thechop wrote:have you tried the 'search' function here?
Yep, that is how I found out over a week ago that AndyGeezer sold Sega Analogue adapters for Monkey Ball. I also found a lot of other interesting stuff, but now that I have all of the hardware in hand, I seemed to have a unique problem between the wiring, connectors, and the control panel. I guess that I could have posted my question in an existing topic. Sorry.

AndyGeezer wrote:The loom you bought from me is no use here..
That's ok. I bought it without having the hardware in hand which is my bad. I knew that I was taking a chance, but I felt it was worth a gamble. I figured that if it didn't work, I could use it on another cab (I'd like to make another MB cab) or another Monkey Ball enthusiast might need it.

Thanks for all of the info by the way! Now I know what the connectors are and have a better idea what is going on with the cab. Also thank you for making the loom for me. I appreciate it!

So the Monkey Ball panel is not original huh? Bummer. It looks like other panels that I have seen online, but I guess it has had some work done to it with non-original parts and/or wiring?

When I got everything home last night, I tried finding a place to plug in the black 26pin JST RA connector, but I had no luck. I was really tired from driving all day to pick up the cab so I'll look again tonight. I'll try using the Virtua Tennis loom to get the start button working. If that fails I'll try to figure something else out. Thanks again for the help!

EDIT:

Got it working! I had to reach my hand under part of the control panel near the monitor to get the 26 pin connector in. It was very tricky, but I got it. Now I guess that I need to adjust the stick sensitivity because I can't pick up enough speed. Guess I'll try to figure that out now.

EDIT2:

Went to test service mode and calibrated. All is well! Thanks for the help AndyGeezer!