Naomi noob, (convert universal driver to standard panel)

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Naomi noob, (convert universal driver to standard panel)

Post by OldFoo »

I have 2 universal cabinets, both of which are configured as driving cabs (wheel, pedal floor plate and bum rest)

they were originally Crazy Taxi high roller and club kart prize.

in both cases the game was dead (crazy taxi was a fried gd rom drive) and club kart was supposedly a hopper fault (the game was dissasembled when i got it and I have never had any signs of life apart from fans spinning)

the crazy taxi cab has been converted to run pc based driving games and is doing its job perfectly.

the club kart cab I want to convert to a 2 player 12 button control panel but I am struggling to find exactly what parts I need to do the conversion, any help or advice would be gratefully received.

obviously in converting these cabs I have quite a few leftover naomi bits which will be going up for grabs once its all done, basicly all the internals from both cabs apart from the monitors and chihiro main board from crazy taxi (that got used to resurrect a friends hotd3) although I will wait until I am a little more established on the board before I list them.

I know this is my first post here but I have been active on byoac for several years (same username) and recognise a few names on here from there (GrantSpain springs to mind)
Last edited by OldFoo on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Welcome ;) you'll find plenty of info here for all your needs, any questions just ask away ;) Just do some searching aswell as the Naomi's knocking on a bit now and most areas have been covered in some capacity on this very forum, full of useful info :smt006
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Welcome!

Take your time browsing the forum to gather any info you might need, but please do not hesitate to ask questions :-)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

have been nosing around the forum for a couple of days now at the same time as looking in a lot of other places on the net.

I see plenty of info saying that all the control panels are interchangeable, but to change the panel from the driving cabs it looks like I need to change the metalwork underneath, and that is where the information seems to dry up, in some ways I need someone to say "These are the parts you need"

here are the two cabs in their current states

Crazy Taxi High Roller

now PC based and shown playing flatout 2

controls are done via a hacked ?10 analogue usb joystick

Club Kart Prize

apart from stripping out everything sensitive this has sat untouched for 2 years a chicken shed (the chickens are penned seperately so there is no chicken droppings on the machine, just lots of dust)

this really is a bare machine (the only bits left in it are the controls, monitor tube and the iso transformer, I stripped it out completely knowing where I would have to store it for a while.

I also have quite a few other machines kicking around (not naomi but all in full working order)

1x generic jamma cab, mamed (what a surprise)

4x pinball tables (Addams Family, NBA FastBreak, Zacharia Aerobatics and Bally Beat the Clock)

1x 2p pusher (4 player silver jackpots)

2x Mills one arm bandits (silver eagle & silver palace)

an ever changing number of fruit machines (currently... Thunderbirds, Rock Star, Super Big 7, Tuppenny nudger, magic lines, rollercoaster)

several other vintage machines

edit:

forgot to add 2 machines to the list

1x HOTD (the original one)

1x Tekken Tag Tournament (dead, just wanted it for the cab)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Welcome mate :smt006
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

hunting around a bit more I now see that I need more than I thought to convert this cab.

first part thats needed is one of these (not sure of the name, I would be tempted to call it a control panel tray)

image hijacked from tetsujin's gallery thread

followed by the upper portion of the control panel housing and a control panel itself.

coin handling parts can remain blanked (they were not used on the club kart because the coin mech was fitted to the payout hopper lump.

next question is has anyone got these parts available or where could I get them from.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Jess-- wrote:hunting around a bit more I now see that I need more than I thought to convert this cab.

first part thats needed is one of these (not sure of the name, I would be tempted to call it a control panel tray)

followed by the upper portion of the control panel housing and a control panel itself.

coin handling parts can remain blanked (they were not used on the club kart because the coin mech was fitted to the payout hopper lump.

next question is has anyone got these parts available or where could I get them from.

Not being funny, but it would be cheaper to buy a complete naomi cab than those bits seperately.

Going rate for a Naomi Uni is around ?100-?150 trade wise.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

the machines came to me at zero cost (if I hadn't grabbed them they were going in a skip) so there is a fair budget to do the conversion (even more if any of my leftover bits are worth anything to anyone else)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Jess-- wrote:hunting around a bit more I now see that I need more than I thought to convert this cab.

It is called a 'Control Box Lower' or 'Control Panel Lower'. Sega partno. NOA-1401. If Andy does not have it, you could try Mo at Videotronics UK.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

so as a minimum I need NOA-1401 & NOA-1402 (upper and lower) and a panel / overlay to fit into the upper

will make a few phone calls tomorrow

a bit of hunting on the net has located the lower portion for ?79.99 from arcadeinvaders.com who seem to be based in belgium but I have not located the upper portion yet