Sporadic Error 1 issue - Zero Gunner 2

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Sporadic Error 1 issue - Zero Gunner 2

Post by OldFoo »

Wondering if anyone has any sugggestions.

Brought a ZG2 cart a few weeks back.

The cart feels very stiff/tight when inserting into the Naomi mobo compared to the other carts I own.

When I first tried to boot it I kept getting Error 1. Several re-insertions and hours later the game worked fine. For a while.

Week or so later game freezes. Try and reload and get error 1. This goes on for a while. Suggestion was to check voltages which I did and lowered down the 5v to around 5.08. Still didn't recognise then it went from error 1 to loading from test menu in the same power up.

Game worked fine for 3 days (ran all evening) and then bam freezes again. Error 1 and so far can't get game to reboot.

That's about the jist of it, more at AO but essentially that's where I am.

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

IMO the problem is that game need to be screwed down.....but first...

Check game three white plastic plugs, the heave to be free form anything and claen, check if they are straight, i mean the plastic parts that fit into naomi mobo has to be perfect with out any imperfection.

Sometime during stocking or shipping naomi carts can be hitted and white plastic parts can be modified from their original form then makeing a bed connection.

marco
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I did try screwing it down last night but it still wouldn't boot.

I'll have a look at those connectors tonight. If they are a bit out of shape is there anything you can do?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Error 1 is 100% a connection error between the mainboard and the rom cart.

Remove the PCB from the cartridge and re-install it and test - it won't be hard to fit when you remove the plastic shell. :)

If it still gives Error 1 you might have a bent or broken pin on one of the IDC connectors.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:Error 1 is 100% a connection error between the mainboard and the rom cart.

Remove the PCB from the cartridge and re-install it and test - it won't be hard to fit when you remove the plastic shell. :)

If it still gives Error 1 you might have a bent or broken pin on one of the IDC connectors.

Cheers Andy.

So does that mean I can 100% rule out burnt out buffer chips?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

wonderbanana wrote:
AndyGeezer wrote:Error 1 is 100% a connection error between the mainboard and the rom cart.

Cheers Andy.

So does that mean I can 100% rule out burnt out buffer chips?

Well burnt 16bit buffers, or burnt out security chip could also cause problems.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Tried taking the case off, no joy there.

Looks like I have been sold a nice expensive paper weight :smt011
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

:smt092 :smt093 :smt076
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Sooo gutted, I flipping love the game too.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

screw is not tight, if the cartridge goes bad.

the cartridge must get well and function without screws.

Get a file for iron, and removes a bit of white plastic, all around the cartridge until it fit perfectly in hand.

sometimes you just grind very little.

I have done so with some cartridges. and work 100% without screws.

the screws are only safety for the punches and kicks by players, or for the transport