naomi 2 faults

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

naomi 2 faults

Post by OldFoo »

hi guys, in preparation for the arrival of id3, i have brought the hardware home.

the mobo is playing up, are there any known faults ??? at present im not in a position to do intricate work, but i should be fine soon.

or does anybody fancy a trade in ??? the mobo will be used for net booting, i have the id discs and a gdrom. but the set up is corrupt. i havent tried it yet as im just putting together a naomi set up. i have been told that sometimes it runs others it doesnt ??? the fan is noisy. but other than that i havent got a clue.

the dimm board is 256 and came from an id3 cab. its 3.03. i have checked and that version should be fine.

is it worth taking the mobo apart i.e. de-case it. in the hope its just running a bit hot ???

or could it be some kind of issue else where.

any advice would be great.

cheers.

john bud
OldFoo

Re: naomi 2 faults

Post by OldFoo »

john bud wrote:Hi guys, in preparation for the arrival of id3, I have brought the hardware home.

the mobo is playing up, are there any known faults ??? at present im not in a position to do intricate work, but I should be fine soon.

or does anybody fancy a trade in ??? the mobo will be used for net booting, I have the id discs and a gdrom. but the set up is corrupt. I havent tried it yet as im just putting together a naomi set up. I have been told that sometimes it runs others it doesnt ??? the fan is noisy. but other than that I havent got a clue.

the dimm board is 256 and came from an id3 cab. its 3.03. I have checked and that version should be fine.

is it worth taking the mobo apart I.e. de-case it. in the hope its just running a bit hot ???

or could it be some kind of issue else where.

any advice would be great.

cheers.

john bud

Firstly the Naomi's fan being loud is normal, well for me it is anyway. The GPU fan shouldn't be the one causing noise though.

It's always worth cleaning a board out if it's dirty, less chance of some dust shorting or overheating something. Just use some compressed air and clean the case with some soapy water (don't use water on the mobo!)/ Get a vacuum cleaner for any large amounts of dust too.

If the Naomi says the game is corrupt, then the RAM in the Dimm unit is empty. Usually this just needs the game reinstalling. To do so, just set up the Naomi with the Net Dimm and GD-ROM drive and make sure everything is in the right place. When you power the board up it'll begin reinstalling the game to the Dimm after it checks things work. I don't know how long this takes (I don't have a GD-ROM Set up...yet ;)) butafter it's done it'll restart and boot the game.

If reinstalling fails, check the RAM firstly. It's standard PC SDRAM (by the looks), so any Pentium 2/3 board should accept it. Put it in the board and do a memory test using a Ubuntu Live CD. If the memory test comes up with errors, then replace the RAM sticks, these are cheap since they're old. Other causes are a dirty GD-ROM lens or faulty GD-ROM drive/Net Dimm/cables. Also replacing the battery maybe a good idea, there's guides for that on these forums.

That's the best I can give since I don't have spefics. Like what exactly is happening? What error message (if any) comes up? Explain in detail or show pics/vids, it'll help.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The Naomi Dimm module has it's own memory test in service mode. Run all of the diagnostics you can run on the system and Dimm to rule out any problems with the hardware.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Oh, then that. Didn't know obviously XP