MVC2 keeps freezing.

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

MVC2 keeps freezing.

Post by OldFoo »

So I have a MVC2 machine at my friend's store and today he called me and said it was not working. When I got there it was always freezing. I turned it off and turned it back on and after a while it froze again. I kept doing the same thing and it just kept freezing. When ever the game loaded up, it would freeze.

So I put it on test mode and tested all the roms and they were all good.

So I have no idea why the MVC2 keeps freezing:(
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Heat is the great enemy of all electronics. Make sure that the Naomi and psu are free of dust. If that doesn't work, you should check the DC voltages to make sure they are 'up to par'.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:Heat is the great enemy of all electronics. Make sure that the Naomi and psu are free of dust. If that doesn't work, you should check the DC voltages to make sure they are 'up to par'.

Hmmmmm. Thank you.

There's no dust in or on the Naomi. Maybe it is the power supply unit.

It was working fine since February (The day Marvel 3 came out because they held a midnight MVC2 tournament for the MVC3 launch).

Sorry if this is a noob question because even though I collect arcade stuff, I'm not really that good with electronics. What do heat and dust do to game boards? Technically speaking.

Come to think of it the machine is in the front right near the store window with the sun shining on it. It can get very hot. Uh oh.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

superguile wrote:
joshua3dg wrote:Heat is the great enemy of all electronics. Make sure that the Naomi and psu are free of dust. If that doesn't work, you should check the DC voltages to make sure they are 'up to par'.

Hmmmmm. Thank you.

There's no dust in or on the Naomi. Maybe it is the power supply unit.

It was working fine since February (The day Marvel 3 came out because they held a midnight MVC2 tournament for the MVC3 launch).

Sorry if this is a noob question because even though I collect arcade stuff, I'm not really that good with electronics. What do heat and dust do to game boards? Technically speaking.

Come to think of it the machine is in the front right near the store window with the sun shining on it. It can get very hot. Uh oh.

AFAIK they trap heat and cause some componant to overheat,
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

NaokiS is correct. Electronics have an operating temperature range. Too cold, and most electronics won't run/initialize. Too hot, and the component's properties change too much to operate properly.

Sorry for the lack of specifics, but the answer is too broad to cover in a simple manner.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:NaokiS is correct.

Good lord, there's a change