Need help building Naomi Universal cab. PLEASE :(

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Need help building Naomi Universal cab. PLEASE :(

Post by OldFoo »

Some of you may have been following my antics turning a Naomi cab I got ripped off on into a mame machine which in the end didnt happen as ive decided to return it to former glory so have been sourcing all the parts which I believe are meant to be in it. Once done then im open to suggestions as to what to do next.

The cab was already fitted with working monitor and transformer NOT psu.

Anyway so far ive sourced the following

Sun PSU

Naomi 1 Mobo

Amp (not yet here but purchased)

JVS I/O board

I then realised I had NO wiring at all except a USB A-B cable which ran from bottom of cab to the control panel area.

I connected the transformer to the psu and then psu to mobo and monitor to mobo, powered it all on and viola I get NAOMI on screen YAY Clap

Then realised I had no way of connecting I/O board to mobo or controls and purchased a 26 pin and 60 pin harness and thought that was it BUT unfortunately I dont know where anything goes. Does the I/O board sit in the control panel or down in the bottom part of the cab with the mobo? Also the 26 pin connects to the I/O board but where does the end of that connect?

The 60 pin again connects to I/O board but has two cables coming from it with connectors where do they go?

Ive since purchased new buttons and kept existing sticks but didnt have cables for that either so have sourced the 1 & 2 player button / stick looms thinking they connected to the 60 or 26 pin harnesses but nope Embarrassed so where or how do I connect the button looms?

Im so close yet feel so far away.

If anyone can help or supply anything im missing id really appreciate it. You have all helped alot so far and I feel im nearly there.

Ideally I need decent instructions or even better, pics of what yours look like as I know alot on here have Naomi cabs.

Anyway thanks in advance

Colin
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi

the I/O board sits to the rear of the controll panel behind a plastic spill protector, to the right of that sits the credit board you will have to remove the monitor surround to gain access.

As for the connectors on mine you can see the bank of molex plugs 1 white 1 yellow to the top of the picture that is where the connection for the buttons and joysticks go for Player 1 and Player 2. The spare plug is where the kick harness goes for the aditional 2 buttons per player.

i would only be guessing from here as i have not got my cab in front of me, but i assume that where the molex connectors plug in, the cables run into a single connector which goes into the i/o. from there a usb connects to the Naomi board.

I cant help anymore from here.

John
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

thanks John

My problem is that bank of molex connects on my machine is missing!

I have a IO board with 60 and 26 pin connectors but nothing has those white and yellow connections on it like yours so I need to know what part im missing and where to buy it from.

I keep contacting people but they all say try another site as they dont have any.

Surely someone has old sega wiring kicking around they wanna sell :(

thanks

Colin
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

-600-7159-070 [JVS POWER LEAD]

NOA-60022 [60pin Digital Wire Harness Amp Sega I/O for 837-13551-92 ]

===> to I/O

http://www.tms-designs.com/theshed/defa ... subcat=148

- 600-6317-17 [Player 1 Wiring harness 1L3B] & 600-6317-18 [Player 2 Wiring harness 1L3B] & 600-6227-10 [Extra Button Loom]

===> to NOA-60022

-600-6317-17 & 600-6317-18 & 600-6227-10

===> to your buttons / sticks

Thats the entire wiring for 2P with 6 buttons

http://www.tms-designs.com/theshed/defa ... subcat=156

;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks mate, ok think I might have a problem then. Are there different types of 60 pin harnesses then from Sega as the one I was supplied obviously connects to the 60 pin on the I/O board but splits into two cables, one with big white block and one with small red block.

So is the one ive got for a different cab or something?

Andy Geezer's looks like the one I need but out of stock but at least that gives me a rough idea of the one.

Also from the PSU theres 3 blocks two of which are the same connectors that are on the back of the Naomi Mobo but apparently theres meant to be a cable that connects to the psu and the mobo I guess like an extention one although im not sure if this other cable has extra connections I might need. Dont suppose you know what that one is do you?

Anyway thanks so far, still need to source all these but im grateful of your help!!

Colin
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Here's a couple of pics that could be useful:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9921 ... ingdia.jpg

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/1987/s202011.jpg

1 and 2 are the I/O power harness NOA-60023.

1 is located at E3 in the wiring diagram (goes to the power supply through a couple of extensions).

2 is located at B5 (not in use).

3 is located at B4 (goes to the demag harness from the monitor).

4 is located at B4 (goes to the NOB-60044 harness from the audio power amp).

5 is located at F6 (not used).

6 is located at B5 (not in use).

7 is located at B5 (goes to the NOB-60101UK harness from the credit board).

The 60-pin digital harness NOA-60022UK goes to the panel mount connectors A, B, C located at CD6 and to the connectors 5, 6, 7 (mentioned above) and to the 9-pin connector located at B4.

The analog harness NOA-60021 goes to the panel mount connectors D, E located at EF6
Last edited by OldFoo on Thu May 19, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

PM
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks Everyone, got some useful info here.

MKL that picture I seem to missing all those cables. my 60 pin harness doesnt have the same connections as you :(

So before I try and by all these cables does anyone have any they have spare they wanna sell me??

thanks again for all your replies.

Colin
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I have a few Naomi Universal spare parts (including the 60-pin harness) I'm willing to sell. You could make a list of what you need (check the manual) and then we'll see.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

thanks MKL PM sent.