Outrun 2 SP force feedback and View Change button

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Outrun 2 SP force feedback and View Change button

Post by OldFoo »

I just finished my Outrun 2 conversion, and it is running fine.

The feedback on the wheel is pretty hefty, but what I find very strange is the difference in behavior when you press the View Change button to change the camera view to in-car.

At that moment, all force feedback on the wheel is reduced to just providing some light, albeit variable, resistance. Crashing into the barrier or another car does not provide any feedback at all. Changing to the outside view restores full feedback; crashing into a barrier almost rips the wheel out of your hands (mine is set to 100% strength ;-)).

Is this normal behavior? I suspect 'yes', but please enlighten me ;-)

Thanks
OldFoo

Re: Outrun 2 SP force feedback and View Change button

Post by OldFoo »

Cageman wrote:I just finished my Outrun 2 conversion, and it is running fine.

The feedback on the wheel is pretty hefty, but what I find very strange is the difference in behavior when you press the View Change button to change the camera view to in-car.

At that moment, all force feedback on the wheel is reduced to just providing some light, albeit variable, resistance. Crashing into the barrier or another car does not provide any feedback at all. Changing to the outside view restores full feedback; crashing into a barrier almost rips the wheel out of your hands (mine is set to 100% strength ;-)).

Is this normal behavior? I suspect 'yes', but please enlighten me ;-)

Thanks

Yes this is normal behavour, very odd though I must say..

I might customise my outrun 2 some more to have the feedback constant regardless of view, the inside view you don't feel the grass, hits, only feedback you seem to get is the road, and traction.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yeah, exactly.

Modifying Outrun's force feedback? Sounds interesting. Let me know what the results are ;-)

I love playing these games with an in-car view, but the lack of feedback forces me to play with a viewpoint I do not like :-|
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Well I had a few hours spare today, this is the result

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIqsnJrBo4c

This my version of OR2SP SDX though, I guess the same could be done on Chihiro, but the problem is the XBE and signed verification, unless you have a patched BIOS.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Kudos to you, Andy! That is how it is supposed to be!

Well, if there is any chance of having this mod done for Chihiro, let me know. I have the original disc and chip :-) I also own a Lindbergh, but I guess the hardware needed to run the Lindbergh version is too complex (panasonic I/O and all)..
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Superb work - this is much more like it! :smt023 To be honest I'd not noticed this before reading this thread, partly because I usually go for outside view and partly because I've spent more time cleaning my cabs than playing them!

I guess this is the same for regular OR2 (I'll try it as I have both discs), but what about the beta version? I see this version has lots of features not included in the final release - any chance feedback is 'correct' in this version? Sadly I don't have a beta disc :smt010
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I can also concur on whats been written here about the feedback/view issues on Sp.

From what i've experienced, outrun 2 (unlike Sp) has the full feedback on both views, but i also think that outrun 2 gives a far more challenging ride in terms of gameplay, i also find the feedback on outrun 2 to be alot more brutal/powerfull than compared to the feedback on outrun 2sp (even on outside view)

edit:

For me there's is no doubt about it, an example would be the snowcabs stage, the driving on that stage is a hole different experience in terms of feeling/handling than playing the same stage on Sp.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Alukid wrote:I can also concur on whats been written here about the feedback/view issues on Sp.

From what I've experienced, outrun 2 (unlike Sp) has the full feedback on both views, but I also think that outrun 2 gives a far more challenging ride in terms of gameplay, I also find the feedback on outrun 2 to be alot more brutal/powerfull than compared to the feedback on outrun 2sp (even on outside view)

edit:

For me there's is no doubt about it, an example would be the snowcabs stage, the driving on that stage is a hole different experience in terms of feeling/handling than playing the same stage on Sp.

Feedback strength on Outrun 2 SDX is really harsh, it's a workout for sure... Don't remember either Chihiro version being as so powerful.. But this might be down to the new feedback board.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Finished my bespoke version of OR2SP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN8DYW6xvkk

This also has the feedback mod installed, I think it's the best version of OR2SP, but then I am biased..
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Awesome mod Andy!