GREAT Another Naomi toast

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

GREAT Another Naomi toast

Post by OldFoo »

So we were like playing 1-2h of Zombie Revenge and BOOM screen went totally black (there was minor lag in the game before this).

Now I just get black screen when the Naomi turns on, am I cursed?

Voltages are FINE don't propose that and so are the cables.

This was used Naomi that I bought from my friend.
OldFoo

Re: GREAT Another Naomi toast

Post by OldFoo »

Jackalus wrote:So we were like playing 1-2h of Zombie Revenge and BOOM screen went totally black (there was minor lag in the game before this).

Now I just get black screen when the Naomi turns on, am I cursed?

Voltages are FINE don't propose that and so are the cables.

This was used Naomi that I bought from my friend.

Have you tried with another PSU/Cab?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

no because I have no other available for me.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hey,

Is this a cartridge?

I have had somewhat the same issue a few times with my Net Dimm.

I was able to get mine to boot again by taking the Dimm apart carefully, then separating each part, making sure it's clean, etc. and putting it back together.

I found that when putting the security PIC into the Net Dimm, overtime it would cause the two boards in the Net Dimm to separate a little bit causing the screen to stay black.

Another thing that you probably already tried, but try booting the NAOMI with no cartridge or Dimm in it. It should still boot to the NAOMI screen.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

both Naomi1 and Naomi2 boot to black screen now without cart.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Jackalus wrote:both Naomi1 and Naomi2 boot to black screen now without cart.

Could be your power supply is doing something funny to those boards if they both dont work now.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Jackalus wrote:both Naomi1 and Naomi2 boot to black screen now without cart.

The power supply definitely sounds like it may have issues, or it may be causing them.

If you have an old computer power supply, you could hack it up and attach it to the NAOMI to test.

The instructions are on here somewhere. I haven't personally done it yet, but it doesn't look too difficult.

Have you opened them up and checked for any odd burn marks, or leaking caps, etc?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

That's strange. I have recently rounded up the parts to get a Naomi/Naomi 2 setup, just no games yet.

If I try to boot either the Naomi or the Naomi2 (using a Capcom I/O in my AVP cabinet) all I get is a white screen followed by a slow fade to black. Granted this is withought any game at all in the system. But I thought maybe it was the lack of a cart or DIMM that kept me from seeing a boot screen.

Should I be seeing the Naomi logo?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AtariBorn wrote:That's strange. I have recently rounded up the parts to get a Naomi/Naomi 2 setup, just no games yet.

If I try to boot either the Naomi or the Naomi2 (using a Capcom I/O in my AVP cabinet) all I get is a white screen followed by a slow fade to black. Granted this is withought any game at all in the system. But I thought maybe it was the lack of a cart or DIMM that kept me from seeing a boot screen.

Should I be seeing the Naomi logo?

Yes, regardless. My Naomi with no cart will:

Fade to white

Naomi logo will drop down and bounce

Fade to grey

Type out "ERROR 01 THIS GAME IS NOT---ect"

Make sure your power supply is feeding the Naomi's the right amount of power, something like 3.3v, 5.1v, 12.12v I think.

Failing that, check the VGA connector isn't badly inserted or faulty in general.