Lindbergh not booting (bios problem?)

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Lindbergh not booting (bios problem?)

Post by OldFoo »

hi,

i have a yellow lindbergh that not turned on when power applied. when i tried to do manual power on (shorting DC SW jumper), there is nothing in the screen. i noticed there is jumper area for cmos reset/CFmaster/slave etc, and set the jumper to bios, but no luck either. how do you get into bios screen actually in normal board? (because i believe like ordinary motherboard, it has settings for automatic power on etc).

thanks
OldFoo

Re: Lindbergh not booting (bios problem?)

Post by OldFoo »

dion123 wrote:Hi,

I have a yellow lindbergh that not turned on when power applied. when I tried to do manual power on (shorting DC SW jumper), there is nothing in the screen. I noticed there is jumper area for cmos reset/CFmaster/slave etc, and set the jumper to bios, but no luck either. how do you get into bios screen actually in normal board? (because I believe like ordinary motherboard, it has settings for automatic power on etc).

thanks

No expert (or novice for that matter) on this, but just to check, try plugging in a ATX power supply (one with a 24-pin ATX connector) just to eliminate your PSU being faulty firstly.

If it works, then check the PSU's voltages with a multimeter. If not, then, unless you check power is going through the board I have no clue how to really help.

Also, the BIOS setup is password protected I believe. Even so, it should automatically default to atuo-powering on.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

If the PS is ok, remove all the ram modules and try to power up the system.

If you have some beeps, the cpu is running.

I got a lindbergh with the same problem and the problem was (is) a broken trace somewhere between the northbridge and the agp slot....

BTW It should start without jumping any wire.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

thank you for your replies.

i used a known good working atx to power them. i feel it's problem with bios really. because it's not automatically powered on. i'll try to rewrite the bios from other board to see if its working.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The problem is not on the FLASH BIOS nor on the CF card.

With the lindberg without power.

Remove the CR2032.

Short the two terminals of the battery holder during 3 or 4 seconds for discharge the Cmos_RAM.

Reatach the battery.

Power the Lindbergh.

If the lindbergh doesn't power up, with the power applied, short pins 7-8 of the 12A6 header 2 or 3 seconds, The Lindbergh should startup if it's correct.

If the Lindbergh powerups, you will need to reset the CMOS DEFAULTS:

Put green jumper 1 between pins 1-2 and startup the Lindbergh, after the error message, change jumper 1 to pins 2-3 and restart lindbergh.

If this doesn't work, maybe there is any problem on the Motherboard or CPU.

The best solution to test if the motherboard is working is remove VGA Card and Memory modules, if the CPU is executing code, you should listen some beeps.

If you don't got any beeps, try to change the CPU.

If this doesn't work, the problem is on the MotherBoard standby power circuit.

You can not enter the BIOS SETUP on the Lindbergh.

There is not BIOS setup, only a screen asking a Pasword for fool people.

All the parameters are harwired on the BIOS FLASH.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

android wrote:
If the Lindbergh powerups, you will need to reset the CMOS DEFAULTS:

Put green jumper 1 between pins 1-2 and startup the Lindbergh, after the error message, change jumper 1 to pins 2-3 and restart lindbergh.

which jumper socket is it? the one with labels "normal/bios/passwd/etc"?

1-2 = CMOS, so i supposed this is point to cmos.

2-3 = ? should i change it while it's on?

and btw, i have rewrite the bios flash from another working board, and it looks like firing up okay. assembled everything (ram/pci cards/vga) turned up working fine. so, i supposed the bios is swapable between boards.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Is the Jumper socket, near to the CR2032

1-2 = Is for reset default CMOS parameters and force Lindbergh to enumerate hardware, including CF Card, Hardisk, etc

2-3= You can change in any moment with Lindbergh on or off, but after you got the message of CMOS DEFAULTS RESET

The jumper value is only latched during power up.

The BIOS is Swappable, but there is a configuration area in the BIOS specific to each lindbergh, and there are stored some vital parameters.

If you Swap the BIOS, you will loose the installed game and configuration and it will be necessary to reinstall it again.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

i can't say for sure because i don't have the cab here. so, i ran the game only to the point where it says JVS I/O error. because the i/o board is on the cab.

i went into test mode, and see nothing unusual. let's hope it'll run without problem.

by the way, i see a lot lindbergh cd/dvd?. meanwhile, i don't see any cd/dvdrom drive in lindbergh itself. i see the manual and notice it said something about dvdrom, but i don't see it explain how to install. do i just need to put pata dvdrom drive in there and set to master, and insert the disc?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

There is a dedicted Lindbergh DVD unit, that is connect thru USB port to the Lindbergh:

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e114843935

But you can use also some PC External DVD USB unit, for reload games.

During startup the lindbergh OS checks the DVD Unit to see if there is a new game or new version of the installed game and then reinstalls it automatically.

You simply need to boot the lindbergh with the Security keychip plugged and the new DVD disc on the External DVD unit.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

nice. i'll start looking for the disc and trying them.

thanks