F355 Triple Screen I/O Problem

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

F355 Triple Screen I/O Problem

Post by OldFoo »

Finally got my hands on a F355 Challenge 2 (Triple Screen) and after some effort got it back to life after locating a power problem, bad S-N10.

Anyways, finally fired it up and all sprung into life, steering wheel moved side to side etc and the screens came on, initial screens and then screen that say NAOMI BOOT xxx and counts down to zero, all good....then the problem.

Next screen that comes up says NO I/O BOARD FOUND PLEASE CHECK CONNECTIONS.

The I/O board is present, and has 2 LEDs lit by the JVS output socket.

Sooo, looking for pointers, could it be a bad I/O or perhaps the Lead or socket on the filter board or even possible a fault on the board that controls the other 3 boards that has the actual ROM board plugged onto it.

All help welcome, Im familar with NAOMI, and worked on Airline Pilots triple curing a board fault but never been in an F355 chal 2, presume same as Version 1 just extra courses and cab colour.

Thx for looking.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Try a regular Naomi I/O board just to isolate that the I/O board is at fault and not the filter board/naomi cpu.

While the game can run on a regular I/O board, you get no feedback due the fact it is missing a lot of registers missing for the drive board to communicate.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thx Andy will give that a try in a bit and let you know result.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

While I can't be of any immediate help, I do have access to a working 355 challenge and I believe there is a manual of some description there as well.

Let me know if I can be of help.

Bill
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Well tried regular I/O board that I "think" is OK, not sure...machine starts up as described but I just get a plain grey screen now where it said about the I.O not being found... no txt at all and thats where it sits.

Thx for the offer Bill, will PM. could do with knowing the start up screens order before actual game starts so know how far im getting.

Going to try different master board see if that helps.

EDIT - Board I have isnt a match LOL... ah well

At what point in bootup can I get to the TEST screens so can run checks on boards etc... as atm pressing button does nothing, which is presumably related to the lack of I/O
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

akastaff wrote:Well tried regular I/O board that I "think" is OK, not sure...machine starts up as described but I just get a plain grey screen now where it said about the I.O not being found... no txt at all and thats where it sits.

Thx for the offer Bill, will PM. could do with knowing the start up screens order before actual game starts so know how far im getting.

Going to try different master board see if that helps.

EDIT - Board I have isnt a match LOL... ah well

At what point in bootup can I get to the TEST screens so can run checks on boards etc... as atm pressing button does nothing, which is presumably related to the lack of I/O

Are all the monitors grey??

Sounds like one or more duff Naomi 1 CPU boards, and/or faulty linker board.

Finding those old type Naomi 1 CPU boards is a struggle, needs to be an original hollie type with the protected eeprom.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

As said boards all seem to initialise, and say there booting etc, then the I/O error... Ken seems to think the game board is OK, most likely the filter board socket, lead or the I/O boards are prone, just need to be sure the smaller I/O board I have is good, which is questionable. Sure got another kicking around :-)

There is definatly a change though, original I/O connected, other one gives grey screens, not an error, if was mainboard then surely same error would occur
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

PROGRESS !!!!!!

As had no joy I/O side of things I decided to swap the main control board for the Left board, plugged up the small I/O and hey presto

Original I/O plugged in still gives the error so thats dud, and there must be a fault on the one board so looks like just those two items, need to get one monitor fixed too, neck of tube lights up but no image, yet to investigate that so looks like might have some work for u andy :-).... At least was able to do diagnostics on the ROM etc and all checks out :-)