NAOMI Guns and such? FAQ?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

NAOMI Guns and such? FAQ?

Post by OldFoo »

Is there a FAQ or guide out there somewhere about NAOMI guns?

I had some questions....

The Universal Cabs and some gun set-ups have IR sensors - are these *required* by games? I am under the impression that Namco guns work without the IR sensors and set-up is similar to Atomiswave guns (plug in the gun IO, plug in the guns, plug in the expansion card - SHOOT!).

Is it possible for me to find some sort of JVS-daisy-chain IO board that has connectors for guns and play NAOMI shooters without the IR rigs?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

There are different gun systems and the games will only work with the type they are made for. The 'Type 1' system is the infared variant that needs an array of LED's around the monitor. The 'Type 2 system' doesn't use the array, but as I said before, it is used by certain games. They are not interchangeable.

If any information here is inaccurate, please feel free to make corrections. :smt024
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks!

That's what I was afraid of... does anyone know if there's a list of Type1/Type2 shooters?

I think Ninja Assault, Confidential Mission, HOTD are Type 2 - right?

Does the Type 2 gun PCB work with Lindbergh? Or any other system?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Ninja Assault is by itself in using optical, all other light gun games on Naomi use IR. I've not heard of anyone trying the Namco gun I/O with an IR type game, or vice-versa, but there's no indication in the manuals that they are cross-compatible.

The IR board seems to be forward compatible with Chihiro and Lindberg (HOD2 guns have been used with HOD3 and HOD4 in some people's setups on this forum), but there's an extra button or motion that has to be added for newer games though.