Naomi in Jamma cab (NAC)

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Naomi in Jamma cab (NAC)

Post by OldFoo »

Hi all,

I've been trying to get Naomi up and running in my New Astro City cab, because I don't have the space for more than 1 cab.

I've bought a Naomi 1 mobo, a Net Dimm and a Capcom I/O.

The problem is that my games on cart are working perfectly, but my Net Dimm doesn't do anything, it just won't show any picture.

Now I've been advised to either buy an ATX PSU and make a ATX -> Naomi converter or buy a Sega SUN PSU. Now I've been exploring my options, and asked around for such a converter. But if that should fail, how do I connect one of those Sun PSU's inside my NAC?

I.e. this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Naomi-Powe ... 0756307131

If I'm seeing it correctly there's some 2 pin cable for getting the current, but where can I connect it inside my cab at the same time as the NAC PSU?

Hope someone knows what I mean... :)

So similar to this picture; I'm wondering where that 2-pin wire is going.

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The two pin connector on what looks like the sun PSU, i.e. the black/white wires? those are your "mains" (110VAC). The pinout on the top of the converter should tell you which is which, and theres a ground screw below it. I wired mine to a normal AC plug that i plug into a regulated power supply. If you hook both PSU's to the same source of main power, make sure they're also grounded to the same source.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks for your reply skate323k137!

Yes, I meant the mains! My problem is that I live in the Netherlands, where we have 220V, and I only have 1 stepdownconverter to convert the power for the NAC to 110V, so I need to wire it internally. But I'm kind of lost there, I think I will have to "split" the mains power that goes into the NAC myself and then wire it to the NAC PSU and the SUN PSU myself, is that correct?

I would almost say that converting a normal ATX PSU is easier and cheaper?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You could probably just split the output from the step down converter to both PSU's. Can you take a picture of it? My naive and not-well-traveled American self has never had to use one >_<

Did you check your power supply, does it say the AC input? My sun PSU does state only 100-120VAC, I'm wondering if yours is the same.

As far as converting an ATX, for me that would be last resort, since the "official" PSU has adjustable 5v and 3.3v so you can make sure you're around 5.1v and 3.32v (that's what I find gives me the best uptime with no issues). If you convert an ATX supply you probably won't have adjustable voltage.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I've been checking with someone and it seems I can split the power at the point where it enters the cab, so I think I know what to do now :)

Also, that's a very good point about the adjustable voltage.

I have an ATX adapter coming my way via a member on this forum. I'll go for a more stable solution with the SUN PSU later on, after I've done the make-over on my NAC.

Thanks for the help skate323k137! :)