NASCAR on one side of Planet Harriers, wheel help

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

NASCAR on one side of Planet Harriers, wheel help

Post by OldFoo »

I won a NASCAR board off Ebay for cheap, main board was bad but I swapped the rom board onto the right side of my Planet Harriers dual cab and it fired up. So now I need pedals (no biggie) and a control panel with a steering wheel (slight biggie). I'm looking at the schematics and I'm curious about how difficult it's going to be to piece together all of the wheels parts, like the drive board and whatnot. Are these somewhat difficult to find, and do they tend to go for an arm and a leg? What might I expect to pay for them? I see the drive board listed as part number 838-13366 and the servo motor board as PN 838-12912-01, are these boards common to the Naomi/Hikaru/Chihiro/Lindbergh racing games or were they somewhat specific to the Naomi/Hikaru games? Hopefully I'll stumble across a wheel panel in the near future, 'til then I'll cobble up something nice and atrocious looking.

Image[/img]
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Cost you a ridic amount of money to put a drive board/servo board/motor setup.

Cheaper to buy a full cabinet.

Also it's a wiring nightmare and for people who have very confident skills.

Google for the Sega nascar manual.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I've been looking at the manual and the schematics, I figured I could handle it, but heck with the feedback for now I reckon. Maybe I can stumble across a busted NASCAR I can use for parts or fix up, watched a few go for cheap on Ebay (300 working) but it's always a distance issue. Will just rig up a plain jane wheel and pedals and play it that way.

Is there a cab besides NASCAR I should be scoping for? Like was that feedback hardware setup shared in multiple racing games (Outrun 2/Initial D)?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Halaga wrote:I've been looking at the manual and the schematics, I figured I could handle it, but heck with the feedback for now I reckon. Maybe I can stumble across a busted NASCAR I can use for parts or fix up, watched a few go for cheap on Ebay (300 working) but it's always a distance issue. Will just rig up a plain jane wheel and pedals and play it that way.

Is there a cab besides NASCAR I should be scoping for? Like was that feedback hardware setup shared in multiple racing games (Outrun 2/Initial D)?

Following games all use the same hardware (only difference is the eprom on the drive board).

Scud Race/SuperGT

Daytona 2

Emergency Call Ambulance

Sega Rally 2

Dirt Devils

F355 Challenge

Nascar from experience has the strong feedback of any driving game I've played, on maximum setting it feels like your arms are getting ripped out, as the feedback is direct due the the angles of the track.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks for the replies and info.

I guess the question I should have asked is "Will NASCAR work fine without the feedback setup?", as I rigged up a gas/brake pedal and while the gas seemed to work fine, the steering was crazy wonky. I tried with two different setups (rigging in the Planet Harriers x/y pot, a dedicated steering wheel) and had no luck with the steering either time. I could steer, it was just very limited, a teeny bit left, a teeny bit right, and the wheel had no center so it just swerved left/right. It was a curiousity thing, I popped the NASCAR rom board off and put the PH back on.

Too bad NASCAR's Hikaru board is bad.