Naomi Setup with 50" Plasma - What do you think?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Naomi Setup with 50" Plasma - What do you think?

Post by OldFoo »

Hey guys

How about this. I have a Pioneer 50" 1080p plasma and I want the BEST MvC2 experience going. The Pioneer has a vga input which accepts up to a 1280 x 720 signal.

To that end, how about coupling a Naomi with the vga upscaler, like the GBS-8220:

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cga-eg ... -8220.html

Letting it pump the resolution for 640 x 480 to 1024 x 768 (I have to think the GBS-8220 is a better scaler than the internal Pioneer). There will, of course, then be a border around the whole thing, but to step up in the upscaler world costs $$$. The GBS-8220 is cheap plus it would "fix" any input / output frequency issues (I heard the Naomi outputs a weird frequency that not many TVs are able to cope with)

From the vga output of the GBS-8220, the signal would go into an SLG-3000 to add some scan lines and get a more authentic arcade look. Finally, it would go into the Pioneer.

Anyone see anything wrong with this thinking?

Thanks,

Jim
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

have you not just tried connecting Naomi to the TV as is and see what you think to the picture quality, of course set the Naomi to 31k mode, I have run my Naomi on my 51" plasma direct and picture looks great, and currently have a Naomi setup direct into a 62" HD DLP, and again looks great fills the screen no issues
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I would not upscale anything unless you absolutely need to. My personal stance on video signal is to get the highest quality you can out of the device (in this case, 31khz VGA) and send it straight to a display that will accept it. Any conversions can only degrade the signal in some way.

As far as the strange frequency (57hz vs 60hz), I've never had a problem with my NAOMI on any HDTV, PC monitor, or projector that accepts VGA. I'm wondering if the person who found their output at 57hz had a unique issue with their naomi or tv. Can anyone confirm that data (that NAOMI outputs 57hz?). I've tested my NAOMI with a lot of HDTV's, projectors, and PC monitors, and they all pick it up native at 640x480 and look fine. The projectors at my office even say 60hz when they accept the signal.
OldFoo

Re: Naomi Setup with 50" Plasma - What do you think?

Post by OldFoo »

jdubs wrote:Hey guys

How about this. I have a Pioneer 50" 1080p plasma and I want the BEST MvC2 experience going. The Pioneer has a vga input which accepts up to a 1280 x 720 signal.

To that end, how about coupling a Naomi with the vga upscaler, like the GBS-8220:

Letting it pump the resolution for 640 x 480 to 1024 x 768 (I have to think the GBS-8220 is a better scaler than the internal Pioneer). There will, of course, then be a border around the whole thing, but to step up in the upscaler world costs $$$. The GBS-8220 is cheap plus it would "fix" any input / output frequency issues (I heard the Naomi outputs a weird frequency that not many TVs are able to cope with)

From the vga output of the GBS-8220, the signal would go into an SLG-3000 to add some scan lines and get a more authentic arcade look. Finally, it would go into the Pioneer.

Thanks,

Jim

Ugh, MVC2 looks crap in 640x480 on the standard Naomi monitor, on a 16:9 HD Pio it would look mega crap..

If you want the best MVC2 experience play it on a 14" CRT at 15K, at least it looks good then!!
OldFoo

Re: Naomi Setup with 50" Plasma - What do you think?

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:
jdubs wrote:Hey guys

Thanks,

Jim

Ugh, MVC2 looks crap in 640x480 on the standard Naomi monitor, on a 16:9 HD Pio it would look mega crap..

If you want the best MVC2 experience play it on a 14" CRT at 15K, at least it looks good then!!

Are you saying I should just stick with mvc2 on my ps3 and call it a day? Looks awesome on my 50". :D