QUESTION: System Link and Net Dimm Work Together?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

QUESTION: System Link and Net Dimm Work Together?

Post by OldFoo »

Hi All,

I have most of the parts and pieces for what will eventually become a NetBoot Naomi system, followed by an upgrade to a compact flash system.

I also have a link board.

Is it possible to plug the Net Dimm into to Link Board, and then get all the usual functionality out of the Net Dim?

Will I be able to perform system links on Naomi's that are NET Booted?

I have it in my imagination that I could someday setup a multiple RaceCar system (multiple drivers and games) that is net booted. And yes, I will buy the games! I am buying all this other crazy stuff for Pete sake ;)

So in summation: Can I board link net booted Naomi's?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

It doesn't work that way. The System Link is what allows multiplayer across different screens. The .Net Dimm will not communicate through the optical link system at all.
Last edited by OldFoo on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:It doesn't work that way. The System Link is what allows multiplayer across different screens. The .Net Dimm will not communicate through the optical link system at all.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was searching for the answer to this question and this thread came up.

Basically I've got a net-dim setup and want to link to another net-dim setup...

Do I just use the Ethernet ports on the net-dims to link the systems together? or is it just not possible?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

:D :D :D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

System linking works through optical cables only. There is no way of getting this to work in any other configuration. You need a system link board as well as a game cart for each Naomi. The Naomi has 2 optical ports: 1 out, 1 in. One system needs to be set as 'Master' while all others are slave units. Each unit gets a different 'ID' so they can be identified. Pictures and more information can be seen on the Sega-Naomi main webpage -->www.Sega-Naomi.com.<--