Naomi framerate issue.

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Naomi framerate issue.

Post by OldFoo »

For some strange reason, my Naomi2 has frame hiccups 2-3 times a second. I don't remember it happening before. :smt100 Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? :smt017
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

What game??

Is it jerks or graphical break ups?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

It jerks momentarily. Fortunately, the video is not breaking up. From what I can see, it does this on all the games I tried, but is more noticeable on 3D games (Gundam, Initial D, CvS2). On 2D games, you see it slightly from the on-screen action, but more noticeable from scrolling text. In other words, things that use all rendered frames. :smt012
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

What monitor you using? Does it happen when you try the Naomi 1? (on games that work with Naomi 1)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I've used a computer monitor and my plasma tv. As for my Naomi1, it's still packed (just moved). I'll try it later as a troubleshooting step. What concerns me is that it didn't do this before. :smt104 I even tried switching between carts and GD's to make sure it wasn't something with the games or the dimm module. :smt017
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Jerking on a plasma screen could be possible, but not on a regular CRT.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yeah. Since I moved, I haven't checked it on the CRT. I will try again after I'm finished at work. However, I don't think the plasma is at fault. I will check anyways. :smt087
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I finally got the chance to try some games on Naomi1. The games I tried before do not show the fore mentioned framerate issue. That eliminates the games as the problem. Does having the Naomi PSU grounded make a difference? My Naomi1 has the ground connected, but the Naomi2 does not. Maybe it's some kind of power flucuation? :smt100
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

That doesn't sound at all like a grounding issue to me.

I dont know if Naomi boards throttle CPU/GPU speed according to load (to prevent burning in case you get a fan failure). In case this is true, you could check your fans... maybe one of them is not spinning, thus overehating the GPU and causing the slowdown?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

It's worth a try. I know the main exhaust fan is working (I feel the air), so I'll check the gpu fans. :smt112