DIMM Battery Question

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

DIMM Battery Question

Post by OldFoo »

Hi All, :smt006

Just got my GD-ROM and DIMM up and running with my NAOMI 2. :smt026

A couple of questions... :smt100

How long does DIMM battery take too charge?

Is it easy/possible to change battery?

Mine operates like this

First Time when loading game...

Checking Memory 0-27-59...100

Loading 0-1-2-3...100

Checking Memory 0-36-45...100

Rebooting in 2-1-0.

Game Plays. (Monkeyball if it matters)

Cycle Power and same thing...

I expected on 2nd power cycle after image in in DIMM

Just

Checking Memory 0-27-59...100

Loading 0-1-2-3...100

Can anyone tell me proper operation if DIMM is retaining image?

Thanks and Regards

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The battery is not sensitive enough to be ruined accidentally. The battery takes some time to re-charge, and only does so while it's on. How long did you leave it on before re-booting?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi Joshua,

I left it on for about 20 min.

Long Enough to play a couple of games of Monkey Ball.

Is that long enough?

When it is fully charged what is proper operation?

Thanks

Bob Presutti

P.S. Nice score on that Model 3 Driver board for $0.06 :smt005
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I'd say it takes several hours before it has a decent enough charge. When properly charged, it will not need to reload the game after rebooting the game. When turned on, it says "Checking memory..", then '3 seconds to reboot..", then the games starts. No loading (unless game has changed, or battery dies).

P.S.

It was a nice score! Hopefully, I can adapt it to Initial D. :smt081 It's a long-term project I'm working on. It's for a different sega game, but I think it might be possible. :smt115
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:I'd say it takes several hours before it has a decent enough charge. When properly charged, it will not need to reload the game after rebooting the game. When turned on, it says "Checking memory..", then '3 seconds to reboot..", then the games starts. No loading (unless game has changed, or battery dies).

P.S.

It was a nice score! Hopefully, I can adapt it to Initial D. :smt081 It's a long-term project I'm working on. It's for a different sega game, but I think it might be possible. :smt115

Thanks. I leave it one for about an hour tommorrow.

Wish I could help on the Initial D.

All I have are the Model 3 Drivers. Enough too keep me busy for now. :D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

If I may make a suggestion, leave it on overnight. That way, it gets a nice, long, complete charge (like you would a cell phone). That's what I do. After that, the battery lasts about 3 days. ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Re:Initial D

That drive board will not work with Initial D, you need the small midi motor drive board.

They intergrated both the motor board and drive board into a single PCB, and changed the communication from mainboard from Parallel to Serial.

Still it didn't cost much! :D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yeah, I've read the schematics for both games. It is unfortunate that this board will not work right out of the box. I just hope to be able to adapt it to work. Serial to parallel conversion is not uncommon, just takes a little reasearch. :smt101