Chest Tubes F***ing SUCK!!!

Off topic posts go in this forum
OldFoo

Chest Tubes F***ing SUCK!!!

Post by OldFoo »

My left lung collapsed about 2 weeks ago and I just got home today...

just wanted to say that I have never felt any pain in my entire life that compares to the pain of a chest tube...even the drs and nurses said it's one of the worst feelings ever...you know it's bad when they tell you we're gonna put you 3 painkillers at once, 2 orally and 1 injected via IV, but they won't get rid of the pain, "nothing will", that will just "make it tolerable"

WOW! What a fucking understaatement! Tolerable??? hardly!! it hurt so SO much worse than the collapsed lung...I wanted to die...but I'm mostly better now(still a very small spot on my lung) and hopefully will never have to go through that ever ever again...words cannot even describe the pain of that chest tube...I'm gonna have nightmares about that thing for months!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Damn, put it down to experience... On the bright side you are still about..

Welcome back!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

glad you are better-how did your lung collapse?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

grantspain wrote:glad you are better-how did your lung collapse?

well that's the shit of it....they have no idea....apparently people with my build(tall/skinny) are prone to it...and it just happens randomly for no good reason at all...at any rate if there is some good explanation the drs and nurses around here didn't know it. lol!

I was literally just sitting on the the floor working on an illustration when suddenly the left side of my chest REALLY hurt and I got short of breath...

the best way to describe it is that it feels like your lung isn't working...like you can tell it's not...it's pretty scary actually.

So I have no idea how it happened unfortunately...but I'm not smoking for a while just in case hehehe ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Geez, does that mean it could happen again at any time? Though i suppose your trying not to think of that possibility :smt009
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Sorry to hear about your experience. A collapsed lung can happen to anyone, but I think smokers are more likely to experience this than non-smokers.

Welcome back!! :smt041 :smt043 :smt033
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

thechop wrote:Geez, does that mean it could happen again at any time? Though I suppose your trying not to think of that possibility :smt009

Unfortunately yes...the doc says now that I've had one I'm more likely to have it happen again...but then again, the radiologist said his dad had one 30 years ago and it's never happened again...so who knows...sigh...

ah well, what can ya do right? life goes on...lol ;)