Site renewal and refresh

Sega-naomi.com will be renew !
OldFoo

Site renewal and refresh

Post by OldFoo »

Hi All,

As many of you might have noticed, sega-naomi.com is not as busy as it used to be; things are slowing down lately. Time to refresh the site and forum to make room for a 'new' start :-)

Many users are having difficulty registering and logging on to the forum, especially using recent versions of Internet Explorer. The site is also suffering from the fact that it is running a very old version of phpBB, and there is quite a few spambot registration attempts (read: a LOT).

The site will therefore go through a refresh cycle very soon, with both the landing page, as well as the forum being renewed.

Next to the aesthetics, we will also be reviewing the forum rules, specifically for the Market section. Not to be too uptight about what people sell and trade, but the forums are also read by people at SEGA :-).

Why this announcement? Well, it could be that the site will be down a couple of times during the changes, so we wanted you to know upfront.

Let's make sure sega-naomi.com will be around for as long as possible!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

good news :smt004

... thanks Cageman :smt006
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

cool cant wait for the new changes
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I am all for it, need to update a lot of info it seems. Best of luck.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yeah but when the spam shit needs sorting.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yeah, it is a nuisance. Renewing the site to a more recent version of phpBB is currently in progress. I will be including a more modern spamfilter/registration filter to prevent spambot registration (at least better than is the case now).
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

People at SEGA read the market board? Why?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

They just do :-)

I work at Microsoft, and Microsoft also checks forums and sites to learn about what discussions take place regarding MS products. Many companies will do the same.

Back ontopic: The site will be upgraded to a newer version of phpBB soon, but before that can be done, the entire site will be moved to a new server (the current service at the ISP only allows for 1 MySQL database. I need a second one to perform the migration).

The site will therefore go offline for a few days very soon. And to all that have enlisted, and awaiting activation: I have heard you :-)

There will be a placeholder page in the time that we will be offline to inform anyone not reading this post.

Normally, going offline would not be necessary, but the ISP just needs to move the site to a different server.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I noticed the FTP password is different ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

NaokiS wrote:People at SEGA read the market board? Why?

Sega are very interested in the fact people where discussing illegal activities regarding the Lindbergh.

All kinds of things like net booting, Lindbergh multigames etc are monitored, anyone seen selling them is subject to a nice legal letter.

IIRC Android had a lot of "interesting" photos on the gallery which Sega where interested.